Race in whatever kit you choose

Gary Rabie

I see in the latest CSA newsletter that riders can now race in whatever kit they choose, be it club kit, SA Pro kit, Euro Pro kit, you name it you can race in it. This will apply to all categories except u23/Elites.

The onus will now be on clubs and sponsors to monitor what kit their riders race in. Officials will no longer be able to pull a rider out of a race or fine them for incorrect kit. (Remeber this does not apply to u23/Elites).

So in theory we could have a very colourful Vets bunch for example, with riders racing in Pro Tour kit if they want.

I think it is a good thing, especially if you are not sponsored. Why should you be limited to your club kit, especially if it is not the most well designed piece of kit?

This also raises the question about the costs associated with registering club and sponsored kit. There is presumably nothing stopping a group of mates getting together, each buying a set of ASTANA kit for example or having specific kit made, and racing as a team. Maybe this will be an incentive to get more local sponsors into the sport?

Food for thought!

Hey, why do you use ASTANA as a example ? LOL. Now we will see more posers in their pro kit and matching bikes

All because licenced racing is supposed to be a team sport.  The idea of team kit is so that you can be identified as part of a team.

Imagine if FIFA decided that in all games at 1st division club level and lower, the teams could wear what ever they wanted?  half a team in manU colours and the others in the Blue Balls rugby shirts.  The other team chosing to play in burumby and stormers kit, and the ref in AC Milan kit.  Great colourful game there.

Imagine if Kevin Petersen could wear the Protea kit (just for fun) when ever he played for England?  Or Beckam being allowed to wear the English kit when he played in the European club games?

Hell even the some of the Sharks could then show their true colours (ie Blue).

But then as I keep on saying "we are all fun riders at heart".

How will clubs be able to attract sponsors if they can't guarantee that the club's riders will wear the club kit so giving them a return for their sponsorship?

It's only good for those who are not proud of their clubs.

Took the words out of my mouth there.

If you are sponsored, you should be able to prove to your sponsor that you're worth the money.

If you have a full team, the team members or boss can and will police themselves.

If you are sponsored, you are probably required to attend some races.  So the sponsor or team boss should already check that you're there.

A photograph will probably do.

If you pay to belong to a club, you are *not* sponsored, so it probably doesn't matter.  If you pay to belong to a club, you aren't obligated to even race, so it probably doesn't matter.

If you pay to belong to a club' date=' you are *not* sponsored, so it probably doesn't matter.? If you pay to belong to a club, you aren't obligated to even race, so it probably doesn't matter.

[/quote']

you as an individual is not but the club does get money so that the sponsor gets 500 logos going around a race course. Imaging if all the riders Cyclelab decide not to wear their kit in the Argus. Supercycling and Toyota will not be happy.

All that they're really doing is removing themselves from the policing and making it the clubs and sponors problem!!

New Horizons will only allow membership to those willing to ride with pride in their club kit even though we are a recreational club with big dreams

If you pay to belong to a club' date=' you are *not* sponsored, so it probably doesn't matter.  If you pay to belong to a club, you aren't obligated to even race, so it probably doesn't matter.

[/quote']

you as an individual is not but the club does get money so that the sponsor gets 500 logos going around a race course. Imaging if all the riders Cyclelab decide not to wear their kit in the Argus. Supercycling and Toyota will not be happy.

Agree and this should be handled at club level. Clubs should decide who has to wear their gear or not. An example is a local club that have a reasonable dress code for their weekly rides for members, but allow newcomers & non-members a bit more freedom.

As I say, handle this at club level.

Geez, "back in the day" at u/16 Tour Loskopdam, they made me wear my socks upside-down to hide the brandname. And i had to cover the

US POSTAL decor on my frame with masking tape.

Yeah if the club wants you to wear there stuff, then they have the option to only give kit to these riders. If the cub / shop can throw in some motivation for members/riders to use there kit in races, then this will help.

Its the Sponsor/clubs responsibility to check on this. Lets say a pro team decided to race with a home made kit or some other kit - there first people that should be upset should be the Team management in our case the Club / sponsor.

Thus organizers can rater "organize" more races and upgrade that standard of the races, than to police such a nonsense issue like team kit

Agree and this should be handled at club level. Clubs should decide who has to wear their gear or not. An example is a local club that have a reasonable dress code for their weekly rides for members' date=' but allow newcomers & non-members a bit more freedom.As I say, handle this at club level.[/quote']

Okay, so say you want to get new kit for the selected few in your club. They complain because kit is so expensive and you try to explain it is because the sponsors only gave you R500 because they are only getting to go on 30 sets of kit.

Another thing is, whenever I did a race, my family that went with me cheered and supported everybody that had the same team kit on as me. Imagine at the end of a big race. Everybody relaxing in their free hospitality area and not a single piece of kit matches all the banners/bunting around it. Just to get into your hospitality area you would require ID.