shimano VS campy

leet22

Besides the name what are the major diff between thse to? Is there much to choose etc? or are they very similar but ppl just have faves?

If you have an Italian frame, it must have Campag. Anything else: buy what you want, as I reckon it's mostly personal preference.

I prefer the carbon look on the Campag stuff and I find that the Campag Ergo lever hoods are more comfortable for my hands than the Shimano STIs.

I've ridden only 105 before upgrading to Chorus then Record, so I can't really comment on the performance benefits of Campag vs. similar priced Shimano.

Campag has the advantage that it's parts are almost completely user-serviceable (see my thread on the stripped Ergo lever), BUT actually finding a regular supply of spares in SA is a major pain (see my Wanted thread on a deraileur spacer).

If you do buy Campag, get your stuff from Total Cycling (or even CWC) you'll save around 10%-50% on the 'official' local price, depending on what you order.

PS. This question reminds me a lot of a Monty Python sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y&feature=fvst

leet 'ol pal, chum, mate (and another other ones you can think of)

this is just one of those questions that should just never be asked.

wait till Madmarc and BigH get hold of this ......

For me Shimano is more comfortable than campag and down shifts are easier with shimano if you are in your drops. But I must say I prefere the clean look of campag to the regular shimano setup and I think campag is better quality.

umm, leet22 .. rather just tell your best friend that you think his mum's quite nice, than ask this question on the Hub. Your forgiveness on the former statement would be swifter and quickly forgotten. It sort of takes on a Fight Club personality this subject.

BUT if you must know, then Search .. quietly.
SeanMort2009-06-08 13:59:12