Where to ride in Plett & Knysna ?

PopRivit

Any ideas on where to ride in Plett & Knysna, I'm in Keerbooms the week-end and looking to do "rustige" 40 -50 Km...

MTB:

Have to do Harkeville just outside Plett towards Knysna off the N2.

Try do Petrus se Brand as well!

A few guys where chatting about it earlier. They had a map out and everything. Search the forum for it...

Sacrosanct2009-06-11 08:32:13

goto 'the garden of eden' opposite the entrance to harkerville and get yourself several of the maps for the state forests.

homtini has a hell of a climb, then there is petrus se brand, and harkerville itself. the red route although only 24 km is tough, and if you are not fit will take you some time.

then there is sir afreds pass? mind the trucks, and montague pass at george.

ride from keurbooms to harkerville for some added mileage, the road verge is wide and foret riding very plesant.

The bike shop in plet has morning rides too, discuss with mr evans if he is in.

also knysna cycles does morning rides of various distances, just check with them too.

Any ideas on where to ride in Plett & Knysna' date=' I'm in Keerbooms the week-end and looking to do "rustige" 40 -50 Km...[/quote']

Red Route no questions LOL

goto 'the garden of eden' opposite the entrance to harkerville and get yourself several of the maps for the state forests.
homtini has a hell of a climb' date=' then there is petrus se brand, and harkerville itself. the red route although only 24 km is tough, and if you are not fit will take you some time.
then there is sir afreds pass? mind the trucks, and montague pass at george.
ride from keurbooms to harkerville for some added mileage, the road verge is wide and foret riding very plesant.
The bike shop in plet has morning rides too, discuss with mr evans if he is in.
also knysna cycles does morning rides of various distances, just check with them too.
[/quote']

You can say that again!

harkerville is safe. you can ride alone, just dont get hurt, its out of season so might be quieter than usual. there are several routes, blue/green and yellow are quite sedate, red is fun and challenging.

the red has very technical root riding which gets harder if its wet, and harder still if hot and humid when you get to the open sections. mind the black 'pipe of death' on the last section of the red route.

the forest riding is splendid though, extremely enjoyable.

Homtini is well worth the trip too.

Yea Homtini has some amazing forest riding, and unbelievable mountain views once you conquer the 8km, 1 hour granny gear, leg buster.

its short, only 18km, and you can add a few kms by riding from the roadside cafe as you get to the turnoff - i forget its name.

Lots of birdlife, keep an eye open for the knysna loeries.