Ride Up Blouberg Hill

Mrs Colonel

The Outriders has recently joined the Friends of the Blaauwberg Conservation Area (BCA), which falls along the West Coast.  The historic Blouberg (Blue Mountain / Blouberg Hill) is part of the conservation area, which  extends from the Atlantic Ocean between Bloubergstrand and Melkbosstrand eastwards over the Blouberg down to plains east of the hill. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The Friends of BCA is a non-profit organisation. They depend on membership fees to cover the costs of running such an organisation (this is not high, but there are costs to be covered). Members are not only the eyes and ears to warn the managing authorities of activities or threats that could harm the BCA, those that are still active can contribute to the management of the conservation area by joining hack groups, etc.

So, as proud new members of the Friends of BCA, we have been granted permission to cycle up the Blouberg Hill, which is not open to the public. This is an exclusive cycling opportunity that the club has contributed towards on our.  For this reason, the ride is essentially for paid up Outrider Members only. NON MEMBERS WILL HAVE  TO PAY R30.00. 

Ride details are as follows:

Date:  Saturday 29 June
Option 1
: +- 40km leaving from the Total Garage on the West Coast Road at 8h00
Option 2:  ? +- 60 km leaving from Lifecycle at 7h30

The plan is for the Option 1 riders to meet up with the Option 2 riders at the Total Garage.  The full group will then continue out on the West Coast Road and turn onto the N7 link, up to the Morning Star turnoff, which is where the  begins.  We then start the ride at the back of and up the Blouberg Hill.  The terrain isn?t that technical and the sand will generally be quite hard (there is a 3km detour in soft sand if you are feeling strong at that point). Once at  the top, we will obviously catch our breath and admire the exclusive view, before we head back down to coffee at the Total Garage Farm House.

Please feel free to drop me a line if you would like any more info, or are keen to join.

Mrs C
Mrs Colonel2009-06-18 01:34:29

Well done , after various meeting with conservation many,many years ago to give cyclists access to the heuwel we got the red light .

We know some people who know some people Wink.

We have exclusive cyclist access, and have been permitted 4 rides a year.  The first of which is tomorrow, so here's hoping the weather plays along!

I think we approached them to soon after they kicked those 4x4 dude of there ! They really made a mess of that lace especially on the south slopes . Pity I am not there anymore to enjoy this !

Guest colonel

Well done ' date=' after various meeting with conservation many,many years ago to give cyclists access to the heuwel we got the red light . [/quote']

It helps when your friends actually own the hill and land around it.... smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif

Ok, so the weather didn't exactly play along with us on Tuesday, so we have managed to arrange access for Saturday 20 June.

All the ride details stay exactly the same, beside the date change to Saturday.

Now that was a great ride. Sorry to hear you could not join us Mrs Colonel due to the dreaded cold. mdk555 let us know with regards to the crash victim please.

Sounds awesome.

Pietman it was!! Standing on the hill looking at Table Mountain with everything else covered in mist. You can't see any houses or buildings. Just mist and the mountain.Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile

The joys of belonging to THE OUTRIDERS - well done Mrs C

can't agree more but don't you guys stop and help your members who become victims of punctures. i have helped quite a few of them stranded on the side of the road with punctures or that have been "dropped" from the bunch.

1x' date=' been thinking about some things you said - wanted to ask ..how you doing ?

[/quote']

Very good thanks. Lost some weightBig%20smile and training seems to be paying off.