Unimpressed with Cyclelab Northgate and KCNC

duringd

I have been on the "blig" wagon of late and am changing certain critical parts on my bike to KCNC. One such part was a quick release seatpost bracket. During the 3rd ride with this bracket, it (in classic style) broke in two. Luckily it happened in an area where I could still manage the bike with the failure! I bought this part, not cheaply, from Cyclelab Northgate. On my return today, being the only customer for some time in the store, I was assited by a very able gentleman who also couldn't understand the breakage. HOWEVER, second salesperson arrives and tells me, without any question asked, that it was due to my own negligence because the ONLY reason for this breakage was overtightning. I still tried to explain how careful I am with my upper end bikes, but no chance! No help offered, just "in your face" don't make your problem ours. I then phoned the KCNC rep and whilst still trying to explain I was given the same answer, sorry but company policy is that its your fault, live with it.

Lesson from this? Beware the halo and praise around some product lines and cycle shops, when you need them they DO run! Look to those guys who will try and help and offer advice rather than scorn. Beware those handlebars, seatposts and other critical parts - it will be your fault if it breaks.
duringd2009-07-01 07:18:27

that is kinda odd...

what is the qr bracket made of? i know their scandium stuff is nigh indestructable

I had the exact same thing with a KCNC seat clamp. I was tightening the seatpost bolt with a torque wrench, and before it even got to 5.5nm the whole thing just exploded. The bolt and little pieces of metal went flying everywhere. Turns out the small little orange alloy insert into which the bolt is tightened totally disintegrated, and i was left with some broken shards of orange alloy! Not very cool, but i manged to make a plan and use another bolt / nut which worked.

I didnt even bother going to my LBS where i bought it the day before, because i knew they would just claim i overtightened it. Even with the torque wrench I could not prove otherwise. Anyway I learnt my lesson and I wont be buying another peice of KCNC bling junk again. 

Zaskar2009-07-01 07:34:46

no offence  & its just a question on my side but why do you go to the said cycle store.

IMHO - I litterally laughed at them for their ridiculous prices. I even told the helper/child that he must be a comic with those type of prices. the face of said child told me the story of - hmmm.... the penny isnt dropping ?

my experience - Fox top @ cyclestore = R 505 ( I think )

Fox Top @ Due South = R 295 ( Guess where i went )

Sorry to hear about your seatpost clamp  - I have one too & love it.

Exactly my sentiment, cyclists, I believe, tend to be more careful with these kind of parts. And no, arms not spanners, YET. No tightening/torque guidelines on the packaging, so one cannot even measure the process.

I suppose their pro active approach to cyclists re service and pricing doesn't really concern them. But I would be if I look at the traffic in that store. I happen to have been at the Pro Shop and made the critical error of going into the store. Trust me, after today it will DEFINITELY not happen again.

Email the okes directly in taiwan...maybe they will be more supportive.

it's impossible to overclamp it...if you do it will never come off!!

I just had a call from Richard, General Manager, Cyclelab Northgate. He asked what happened, commented on the issue and offered a workable solution to the problem. Thank you Richard for our discussion, it is appreciated.

KCNC SUCK!! Excellent method applied to muddy up their image... Exceptional costumer support too!!

I broke a Bontrager Race Light seat clamp QR lever in half and I was definitely not using a hell of a lot of force. Also manager to bend the Bonty Race Light seat post. Replaced with Thompson and Hope....never looked back. I think my point is go for strength where it matters on your bike.  

that is kinda odd...

what is the qr bracket made of? i know their scandium stuff is nigh indestructable

Not quite...know of a couple of scandium stems and seatposts that have failed.

Their handlebars are nice, I ride with the sc bone flat bar on my 29er, have other bits of them as well, seatpost clamp, QR's couple of bolts, seatpost, and personally I won't buy certain KCNC stuff again, the seatpost sucks in quality and strength to a thomson and is only marginally lighter, the QR's are nice, but the colour (red) are fading a little off. And let me not even start on the seatpost...

I work in retail; and have had this problem come up before., in our case, the customer had no proof that the product was bought in our store, ie, no receipt. he then demanded we swop the item at our own expense. when i explained to him that we could not exchange an item without proof of purchase (pretty standard practice in any retail environment) he persisted that we swop it.

now i'm not saying it was your fault the clamp broke and i'm not saying it was theirs. i'm just saying that i am a loyal customer of cyclelab and have never had ANY bad service from Northgate Island. could it have been a misunderstanding?

why can't we all get along?Hug