Pimp(ing) my Ride - Story

DownhillGuru

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I am keen to see the result. I have a ss in a state of paint removed flux and I am trying to work up the courage to take the ends of my fingers off with steel wool... end result please!!!

the oke's fingers are stuffed now' date=' can't type no more.....

stripping paint (completely) is hard work.....[/quote']

Yoh! All that sanding! I would have paid a few hundred bucks and had it sand-blasted and power-coated at the same time.

Screw sitting there with a piece of sand-paper! Confused

• 3 months later...

Yeeha!! I'm finally back!  Unfortunately the project stood for a while due to work pressures.

So, as you know I've been agonising over the painting / anodizing of the frame. All the new parts I ordered arrived ages ago from CRC and Once I eventually decided what to do regarding the painting, the project was revived!

I wanted to create a brushed Alu look simmilar to what was on my (ex) Cannondale. Originally I assumed that it was polished and brushed with a wire brush then clear coated. Not the case!

Then I tried to have it anodized in a satin / clear anodize. I cannot describe the dissapointment when I went to collect the frame. There were

specs of the old Maroon colour showing everywhere.

Then my mate who does the vinyll cutting suggested that I do a camo effect. He gave me off cuts of vinyll which I stuck onto the frame in random odd shaped pieces was going to then spay the frame grey, add more vinyll pieces and spay again in charcoal.

Once all the vinyll was removed it would have given a nice Bare alu, grey and charcoal camo effect. The problem was that I should have rather used 'masking vinyll' instead of regular vinyll. This was pointed out to me by Nico (painter) when I took the frame back to him stuck full of random bits of vinyll. I had to pull it all off and sit wiping away the sticky residue with a rag and benzine.

By the way, I eventually found out that the shiny alu look I wanted is achieved by doing a process called Phosbrite which is simmilar to anodizing but very toxic, which might explain why I couldn't find anybody who could do it for me.

So by now I'm gatvol! I want this bike back together and I'm tired of pretending that my GT Chucker is actually not that bad as a trail bike (Ja right)!!

So it's off to JG Powdercoaters with my 3 pieces of frame. So I asked for a charcoal powdercoating. "with sparkle?" they asked, "Yes ok but just a little, sparkle" I said.

A week later I made some bull$!t excuse about seeing a customer in Boksburg and went to collect the frame. When I first saw it I must admit that I was worried about the "sparkle". It's going to look like a girls special from Makro I thought. But now that it's together I'm really chuffed, over the moon actually!!

I would insert a picture here but the F#@!&% hub tells me that I have insuficient permission!!

I bought a new set of hubs (NS bikes) as well as a set of Halo Combat rims and had my mate Daryll build up the wheels with straight gauge Stainless Steel spokes and red anodized nips. He also gave me a set of Continental Diesel 2.5 tires. Now I have a set of seriously strong (read heavy)! wheels.

20091207_082925_New_Wheels_Clus.jpg20091207_083014_New_Wheels_Spok.jpg

Where are pic's of the completed bike? I've just read all this to discover there are no finished pics.

Please post some, NOW!

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHERE I CAN HAVE DECALS DONE,OR IS IT BETTER TO HAVE IT PAINTED ON THE BIKE?

CAN POWDERCOATING BE DONE IN 2 COLOURS OR JUST 1?