FTP Power Values

Is there a chart to show what FTP values would be considered bad/ ave/good/elite/superhuman?

Similar to the W/Kg type chart?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FTP refers to power you can sustain for an hour. Allen/Coggan's book training and with a power meter has a table that lists 5sec, 1 min, 5 min and and FTP values and from untrained to world class 1.86w/kg to 6.4buckstopper2009-07-07 08:30:35

FTP will still have to take your weight into account, so it's the same as your W/kg value.

If I take my ramp test output I would fall into that cat, but if I take my average from my 20 min today I would struggle to keep up with the J-K riders!! haha

Am I misreading this table???

the worst untrained rider is 5.81 for 5 minutes, the best elite is double that,

so if the untrained unfit slob weighs 120kg and the elite guy weighs 60kg, then they both have the SAME power for 60 seconds.... or does this table exclude body fat from riders weight???

What category are the Elite riders in the league about?

The best here will be in the top end of the exceptional category

What is the best way to do a power test? On a stationary trainer, or on the road?

I picked a route to do a 20 minute interval but I think it's very misleading...  maybe it wasn't a good route as I needed to coast for a couple of seconds and climb standing in the 23, damn wind.

I use a polar power meter on my cs600. I have read that different gears can change the values and I spent some time in my 23 at the back... which I think has distorted the power.