Riding on the wrong side of the road

Go Slow

Hubbers,

I know I am going to get a lot of slack for saying this, But what is wrong with Riding on the WRONG side of the road, facing on coming traffic? Especialy if there is a broad shoulder.

Please hear me out before all of you jump on me.

I can see the oncoming traffic and decide if it is safe to continue being on the road. I am no broader that I would be from the back so the cars should be OK with this.

I have been off cycling for nearly 10 years due to obying the rules and being taken out from behind by the the POLICE. Waking up in hospital not knowing your own name tend to change your thoughts about this rule. I want to look the F%$#* in the eyes next time I get taken out (which is hopefully never).

That is the reason I own two mountain bikes and tend to spend as little time as possible on the tar, but unfortuantly living in GP you still have to contend with some tar.

Just like to know why everyone is so upset when they see a cyclist on the wrong side of the road, it is most likley me!!!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go slow you make an interesting point. Runners always run facing on-coming traffic. I see no reason why this can't work.

Except when there is a barrier that would prevent you from escaping when you need to.

The problem arises when there is a cyclist or group approaching who obey the rule of the road (keep left).  You then force them into the road  increasing the possibility of a collision

The biggest issue comes at intersections where you are simply on the wrong side, and are likely to get taken out.  Runners, unlike cyclists, have no rights on the road.  They are supposed to run on the pavement and always face traffic.  Where there is no pavement, runners should be on the right facing traffic and as far over as possible.  Again at intersections this is more practical for a runner who crosses at the pedestrian crossing.

Cyclists have every right to be in any part of the left lane.  The fact that you were taken out from behind is no indication that it would be any safer had you been facing traffic.  If you were riding to the left of the yellow line then the problem was you were occupying the emergency lane - you are required to be in the lane with all other vehicles.

Then there is simply the principle.  Facing traffic means you are responsible for moving out of the way when a vehicle approaches.  By rights other vehicles are required to change lanes before they overtake a bicycle.  By moving onto the wrong side of the road we are foregoing even more of the rights we have as cyclists (in terms of the law drivers of vehicles).

I ride on my own most of the time and always ride on the wrong side of the road when I feel it is safe to do so. If I'm on a tar section I also try and ride on the dirt shoulder, if possible, facing the oncoming traffic.

I commute daily in a town where the drivers are among the worst in the world (Durban) and have been riding in the left lane for the last 20 years.  I have been taken out once by a left turning vehicle, which I could have avoided if I had been further to the right of my lane.

Feeling safe is not the same as being safe.  Helmets are a case in point - just because you think you are safer in one does not make it so.

linnega2009-07-14 10:53:04

runners also obery the rules of the road ... which translates into the fact that they understand they dont have rights so avoid confrontation and the thinking that they also have a "right" to use the road.

However, ask a pedestrian if a runner should be on the pavement .........

Guest colonel

Imagine if you dont wear a helmet and throw a paper on the ground..WW3

Imagine if you dont wear a helmet and throw a paper on the ground..WW3

if he/she/it was cycling towards you, at least you could ride over them ....

and then come onto the hub and say you did not see them ...

Main reason not to ride on the wrong side of the road is that other road users don't expect you to be there and thus are not looking for you there.

This is especially true at intersections.

Guest Big H

It is also a matter of a speed differential. On the right hand side you have much less time to react to oncoming traffic as they are approaching you very fast. Overtaking cars approaching from the front will not expect you if they are forced to make use of the full road width..... you will also not have time to get out of the way.< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">

Guys,

Thanks for some of the insight, the only real problem I still see is the "Intersection" problem, but as one guy pointed out and what I do is to make use of the pedestrian crossing. Problem solved. Even if I am in the left lane and want to turn rigth in traffic, i continue on over the crossing, stop on the other side and make use of the pedesrtrian crossing.

I still believe it is safer to go against the flow of traffic and will continue to do so if the road allow it (broad shoulder).

Guest Big H

Guys' date='

Thanks for some of the insight, the only real problem I still see is the "Intersection" problem, but as one guy pointed out and what I do is to make use of the pedestrian crossing. Problem solved. Even if I am in the left lane and want to turn rigth in traffic, i continue on over the crossing, stop on the other side and make use of the pedesrtrian crossing.

I still believe it is safer to go against the flow of traffic and will continue to do so if the road allow it (broad shoulder).
[/quote']

The only difference is that if the car hits you from behind you will not really know it....... when he hits you from the front you will still have time to taste that *** taste in your mouth!!!!!!!!!

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">

Do you stop and make use of the pedestrian crossing even when going straight? Must be very frustrating doing this all the time...

I am not a legal expert, but should you be involved in a collision while riding on the wrong side of the road, you might be considered to be at fault irrespective of what the other party did. You are after all not complying with the law.

This could have implications for insurance etc.

Guest Frail4Life

I have one question, does not matter which direction. When we get bike lanes, We are still going to get stuck and be of DANGER at intersections.  

I generally try and wait at Traffic light, for traffic light to give me right of way. When there are two lanes, dual carriage, I cycle in the middle of Left lane. With 1% of mottorists giving me uphill, some also slow down because they need to now change lanes and pass traffic.

Also been hit from behind, recently got taken out when cycling to close to Vechile. He turned into me. So Now I cycle in the middle of road when possible.        

I am a mountainbiker and I always ride on the "wrong" side of the road. But ocasionaly I get the urge to spend the day with the roadie and only when we are in a group will I ride on the "right" side of the road.