Crossrides

XC Cruiser

Would like some opinions on the Mavic Crossrides.  Im 98kg Have been riding for a year.  Any thoughts?

Give some more info on what type of riding you want to do, what budget, what other options you are looking at. 

Mainly XC with some single track & Trails.  Budget is about R2500.  Would also like to hear from people who have ridden the crossrides.

I have the cross rides. Can't say i'd recommend them. They came with poor spoke tension. A few months down the line an annoying freewheel issue developed. This issue seems to afflict many mavic riders, which can be confirmed by a hub search. My advice would be to buy a custom wheelset off chain reaction. It'll be stronger, cheaper, more reliable and possibly lighter. Talk to mampara. He bought one recently.

I ride them and the only compaint is the front wheels disch keeps going out.

Been riding them for about 2 years now.

The freehub needs to be cleaned and lubed every now and then but it depens on the conditions you ride in.

For your weight I would suggest go with something with 32 spokes per wheels

Ive been riding mine on a 5" bike  for about 2 years now. and appart from the freehub seal that gets dry every now and then, I have had no complaints. I did get mine for R1350 back then, so It was a fair bit cheaper. I have had my back wheel tentioned once, but have not even had to true it.

I dont know If Id recomend them at R2500 but I cant really fault them for what I paid.

I weigh around 70kg kitted up.

I've had mine for about a year now and while I enjoy them, I have had a few issues with them. My free hub started to give problems - not releasing or 'grabbing' on fast freewheels. This was particularly scary on the single track on the Red Route. My rear axle also broke a while ago. I don't know if this is as a result of the freewheel problem - but still set me back a few bucks.