Blackburn Flea

stp1

Has anyone used a Blackburn Flea front light for mountain biking at night? I'm considering getting some lights for my bike but I don't know what to get. The X4 & X8 seem very expensive

40 lumen output? Forget it, unless you plan on riding 10km/h.

Cheap, bright, long burn time. Pick 2. In the land of bike lights, you get what you pay for, and anything under R1.5 - 2k is not worth it for MTB IMO.

Then again, I run a 700 lumen beast so I might be a bit biased.

What you're looking for is at LEAST 240 lumens, and a decent, fairly narrow beam pattern. The brighter you go, the wider the beam can be while still providing a usable amount of light.

Sigma's Karma is a good *cough* budget option, last I saw you could get one for under 2k if you shop around.

But when you find out how much fun it is and decide to pig out, look here.

smiley20.gif droo2009-07-21 06:42:01

A friend of mine has a flea. Pretty nice if you want to find something in your camelbak. I'm with droo on this one, just bite the bullet and get a proper light. Another friend (happens to be a friend of the first friend) has the x8, and it is a light I would recommend. 

muddy p2009-07-21 06:56:06

I'm pretty happy with my Sigma Evo-X 10w. It's just the battery that does not last long enough. It's about 160-180 lumens.

I use the flea on the road bike.  Not good enough for night riding.  Good enough to scare the few fast asleep  motorists away from you. 

Sorry- X8

Its a pretty decent light, not exactly super bright, but he gets by pretty well on it at nightrides.

20090721_070032_IMG_0757.JPG

This is the sort of effect you want... that 2nd boot is at 50m, and the last tree you can see on the right is about 80m away.

smiley16.gif droo2009-07-21 07:02:54

This is the sort of effect you want... that 2nd boot is at 50m' date=' and the last tree you can see on the right is about 80m away.

smiley16.gif [/quote']

Hey droo - we tested your (now mine) light this am and I am indeed very impressed! Night becomes day with the touch of a button smiley4.gif

This is the sort of effect you want... that 2nd boot is at 50m' date=' and the last tree you can see on the right is about 80m away.

smiley16.gif [/quote']

Hey droo - we tested your (now mine) light this am and I am indeed very impressed! Night becomes day with the touch of a button smiley4.gif

Sweet! Glad you're happy, and I'll keep you posted on the battery bag.

smiley16.gif [/quote']

Sweet! Glad you're happy, and I'll keep you posted on the battery bag.

Thanks - I strapped the battery with an old tube to my stem - not pretty, but the 'best' option so long.