MTB Highjack (Centurion/Olifantsfontein area)

Boesman Benson

Hella - my name is Rex and live in Pierre van Ryneveld. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

All MTBers in Centurion area - it happened again this morning about 8h40.

Where: Where the 2 spoor track splits off from the dirt road next to the R21.  The track underneath the power cables.  Next to the mielie fields.  This route is a very common track used by many bikers - direction Bapsfontein and back.

What happened. 

We were 2 riders that wanted to do a longer ride than the rest of the club.  2 black men came walking towards us along the 2 spoor track.  I was a bit suspicious about them but rode past them.  About 200m later 4 guys jumped from the grass/bushes.  They were armed with a BIG RAMBO style knife, hammer, pipe and smaller knife.  My buddy could ride away buy I was too close.  They were extremely aggresive and kept on attacking me.  Thanks Ingo for coming back to help me.  I'll ride with you anytime!!  At one stage I was on the ground fighting off the guy with the big knife and the one with the hammer.  The 2 that we passed earlier came back and set off with my bike.  Ingo had to drop his bike as well and then they took his bike too.

Anyway - thank the LORD we are OK!!  I took a few shots from the hammer, but thank God not a scratch from that knife.

The bikes:

My Bike:  Giant Anthem 1 with SID and SRAM XO Groupset + Polar 725. 

Ingo's Bike: Standard GT Avalance 1.0 + Polar 725.

If any of the group that came past us about 10min after it happened reads this please give me a call: 072-3472636.

Guys please be carefull.  We were lucky today.

I guess I will become a suburban MTBer now.  Seems like soon the only safe places will be Groenkloof, Northern farm and maybe next to the road in the suburbs.

if the area is dodgy, maybe one in a group should htink of sporting ?a camera so we can catch these mofos and get our own back.

Man everytime i see something like this i realy get hacked off. Ride where you want to ride but be prepared-arm yourself and be vigilaint. These are cowardly parasites that have no brainpower. What will they do with the bikes?

They only understand violence and intimidation..... Im sick of hearing dont ride hear and dont ride there! Fuc* these ars%*#@)! I grew up in Gauteng and will damwell ride were i want to.

With these sh*&^ heads you need to fight fire with fire!!! Go in groupes and be prepared. Do you think they are goi to stop? No wayyyy-cause they get away with it.

if the area is dodgy' date=' maybe one in a group should htink of sporting  a camera so we can catch these mofos and get our own back.

[/quote']

totally agree, know the area - maybe we should hijack them b@st@rds!

I still got out on my own in Pta East - maybe just being stoopidOuch

i seriously need to invest in some pepper spray. I do however if im riding alone ride with a pistol pellet gun. bout the size of a walter PPK & it does hurt trust you me, ive nabbed one trying to break into the house with it & performed like squeeliing pig

Yes, that Black GT 1.0 was mine....Rex, I am glad that knife didn't get you. Hope those hammer blows heal soon.

Speaking to the Olifantsfontein cops later that day they told me it could either be illegal immigrants staying in the Hostel not far from there or farm workers.

Ingo

this is horrible .... i moved back to SA as I love this place, but this sort of thing really makes one ask ... was it worth it

Hi Rex, sorry to hear about your ordeal. A freind and I had a similar experience in Ferbuary just behind the R21 Engen. Similar MO to what you describe so I guess it is possibly the same gang.

Did this happen near the end of the dirt road near the brick factory. I rode with a freind out that way on Saturday.  We were in the area around 8am. We started out up under the power lines and after about 500m we say 3 blokes walkong down the road towards us. One appeared to be carrying something so we turned back. When we got back to the dirt road we met 2 other freinds who were also heading out that way and stopped them to warn them. Eventually decided to head out again under the power lines as there were now 4 of us and a group from Epic Cycles had just gone past. I was suprised that there was no sign of the 3 guys we had seen just a few minutes earlier. Bit further on we passed 2 other guys also walking in Pta direction.

PM me if you think there is anything we can do that will help you. Also, think about getting professional help - we did after our incedent. It helps in understanding some of the emotions you are experiencing and helps you to move on. You will have experienced more trauma / stress than you realise and this takes a while to work through it all.

Don't know if you have reported this to the police, I think it falls under Olifantsfontein.   I reported our incedent and they made some arrests about a month later.  I know those who were arrested spent some time in jail as the invertigating officer called in June as they were making a 2nd appearance in court.  Makes me sick if they got bail and this is the same group - makes you wish they were permenently taken out.

Anyway, be strong, get well.

This is the 3rd attack I have heard of in the last 3/4 weeks. There was one near the pipe factory / irene shooting range 2 or 3 weeks ago and another in the Smuts house area (maybe the same spot, I am not sure) a week before that. Please guys take Rex's warning and be very careful. They will be back this next weekend.