CamelBack Advise...please (MTB)

Bertus

Help a fellow please.

I need to buy a new Camelback type thing. Something to hold water and other goods. Perhaps a big battery There is no chance I'm paying R600 plus - so anybody know of something similar at a more competitive price, please speak up.

The Dunlop pack at Game ! Mine is going for it's 4th year and I am still happy . It does what you want it to do i.e hold water and all other kinda funny things . If you need to take you car battery look at the Solomon Bags at Cape Union mart . Priced from bout R150 (depending on litres) , it takes a 2L blader (bought seperately) and whetever else you wanna piut in there . We use it for Ar races and works very well . (not for XC racing)

Must agree with DR - Use one of those Dunlop ones from Game (R149 or 199 can't remember) for XC and works like a dream, also about 3 years old. I have replaced the bladder with a generic one from Sportsmans warehouse in the meantime (only becaus I once left it lying around for about 2 weeks with Energade in!). As for the battery, how big is this thing?

Must admit that I do use a Camelbak Mule for longer MTB races, mostly because it holds more.

U guys that use camelbacks... doesnt your back end up sweating excessively... dont you get hot from this thing on your back... plus the 2kg you have to pickup when standing ? 

smileys/smiley5.gif

I have just finished the Epic and as 1st time user of a hydration pack I did not know if this was the thing for me, so I went for an economical option.

the Kway R 160.00 without Bladder Holds 2L and all my tools and spares, rainjacket etc. and a large-ish GPS transmitter. Check it out on the cape union mart website.

Very good value.smiley32.gifuploads/Dick/images/2006-05-05_131524_display_image.jpg

Hey Mouse! I don't notice my back sweating since normally it's the sweat running off my face and arms all over in my eyes and on my bike that bothers me more!smiley19.gif

A mere 2Kg, small potatoes for a true MTB'r (that shaves a few grams off by putting on those latest XTR SPD unobtanuim pedals!)smiley36.gif

Dick - I think I'm sold - it looks real cool too. Going out to T-valley NOW!

Also thanks to Ben & DR - I have a Game one and it served me well but the battery is about 12 x 8 x 8cm (and heavy - so need more space.)

Mickey...Camelbacks aren't really for racers... apparently it doesn't go with the look.

Marius - I'm checking out the K-way now so phone me if you want me to buy one 4 u 2. C u in the morning!

2kg smileys/smiley36.gif . Sweating with the pack on me back has never really bothered me

• 2 weeks later...

Bertus

The dunlop ones are ok but the valve just horible compared to camel and Kway designs, to replace puts it in the same price range anyways! My dunlop started to go after three monts stiching not up to the task, but I do ten hours of dirt a week!

Bertus - My homemade light uses two large camcorder batteries - all I did was cut the top of an old 750ml bottle (we all have tons of those lying around) and squeezed the batteries into the bottle (use sponge if it's loose) and then put it my waterbottle cage on the bike. It's way easier than carrying the battery on your back.

TIP: Cable-tie your bike cage to your frame to give it extra support otherwise the cage will eventually break from fatigue.