Why I love my LBS

LBS are personal and we all have our reasons for choosing one over the others.

On Friday I went into my LBS and got my usual dosage of good service and excellent advice. Ran in on Saturday to collect my tyres and they still had time and effort to greet me (both the mech and owner).

Always feel welcome in their store no matter how busy or hectic they are.

... timeshift to Saturday afternoon ...

OK so my LBS closes at 11:30 (or 12) on a Saturday and I forgot to buy cleats. So I decided to give another LBS a go. They have more than 6 times the floorspace of my LBS and stock to the ceiling.

Walk in and was assisted within good time. Was helped, given cleats, paid and left.

Not bad service, but not really any extra value added to my experience. Felt as if I could have gone to Mr Price Sports or Sportsmans Warehouse instead. Mentioned it was my first time in his store and was waiting for some posetive feedback from him - but kinda felt as if I was interrupting his TDF - get a frikk'n PVR I thought.

(I know your wife is on the hub so I wont do LBS bashing)

Well I would still go back to get emergency supplies but thats about it. I'll rather stick to my small LBS where I'm at least greeted with a smile and a cheerful chat.

PS: If you have a LBS or any retail store then do yourself a favour and read the book "The Free Prize". 'Cause my LBS gives me "The Free Prize" experience of service.

well the experience you describe is very relative to what ive experienced. I live in PTA east & over the years it has become a rather affluent area it would seem however the attitude has come with the affluency. "Basically if you dont have the bux to spend in my shop then why did you come in" nevermind the ludecrous pricing that they charge.

You know what - when i need something i drive 25km to Grants Cycles in centurion because holy crap - they even remember my name & funny thing is i dont go in to a shop very often as i pretty mych fix, tweak my own bike & even do my own fork services etc etc etc.

Soooooo a big up to Grants cycles, I love you guys, your pricing is good to me & leon & Grant always gives sound advise & your always out to help me & go the extra mile no matter what & still with a smile on your face after a long day on your feet

Ive run in after a crash as they were locking up one saturday, instead of saying we are closed, they opened the shop just for me opened the till after cashing up, then cashed up again after i left. Now i dont know any other LBS in my area doing that sort of thing. Pretty much they can learn a thing or three from a shop a quarter their size. + added onto that Grants is willing to negotiate pricing if they see your running intoa bit of a cash flow probbie to at least help you be able to afford what your looking for ( obviously not wild/stupid discounts ) but out to help you none the less in a big way

so there you have my idea of a bike shop. Id rather drive a half hour & get awesome service than get the cold shoulder effect from LBS's in the PTA east area

BumpnGrind, try the new LBS in moreletta out as well. the one under the bridge near Atterb McDees wont see me again in hurry as they more interested in TV than helping clients! Big up to Leon @ G's as well, always friendly!

My one LBS have me in the palm of their hands. I went in there with a question of can they get something for me and they kept me away from work for 45minutes. Showing me all the nice new stuff and projects they are working on.

All the staff know me even though I only buy small stuff from them and they've even got my phone number on record from a deal I did with them over 2 years ago.

im With you on this one Mampara i get exactly the same from my LBS and how nice is it to walk into your LBS and they greet you by name and are friendly regardless of the amount you spend

BumpnGrind' date=' try the new LBS in moreletta out as well. the one under the bridge near Atterb McDees wont see me again in hurry as they more interested in TV than helping clients! Big up to Leon @ G's as well, always friendly! [/quote']

hahaha, that store is a joke & on numerous occasions ive experienced the same attitude or they have very inexperienced annoying people coming up in your face can i help, can i help, can i help. Argghhhhh that just annoys the living crap out of me & i dont have the patience for such irritations. Let me browse even if i dont want to buy anything instead of being all uppety & in my face. I refrain from going in there no matter how bad the emergency

Cbrunsdun, I know what shops you are talking about. The first mentioned shop is better as the owner loves mountainbiking and really has a passion for the sport and the local guys. 

The bigger shop you mentioned differs in that the owner only really started racing/riding after he got the shop. He bought the shop as it was deemd a good investmentment. He really did do wonders with the shop, but I agree with you, I've never felt special going there.

Now back to the first mentioned store, it is always a pleasure visiting there. Both the owner and the mech know I am a staunch supporter of the other shop in town close to this shop, but still I'm always welcomed and always get great advice and service when I occasionaly pop in.

"Owner operated with passion" I guess is the secret to a good LBS in my books.

Even my wife can only say good things about the LBS. She ordered a Park Tool floor pump for me (and she is clueless) and they helped her out perfectly.

Its strange how peoples buying and expectations differ.

For me I dont want to be the LBS owners best friend, I dont care if he knows who I am or what I do, I dont want to hang around the counter on weekends shooting the bull, I dont expect him to open for me when he is having a braai at home and I need a spare tube, frankly I dont care much about him and I dont expect a reciprocal feeling - all I want is to walk in, get served in an effecient manner, pay and walk out.

For me buying something is just a means to an end, I want a product and if you have it at a fair price, I'll buy it, I dont need to feel warm and fuzzy doing so.

I am not knocking your post Cbrunsdon, please dont get me wrong, but I always chuckle when I read these kind of posts cos it just shows how differant we all are,.......... and thats a good thing dont' ya think.?

Porky, I know what you are saying. But take one of my cases. I mentioned, just mentioned, to the shop owner that I liked XYZ product but it's not in the country. Without me asking anything further, THEY phoned me weeks later to tell me that XYZ is in the shop if I'm still interested. By knowing their clients, they can stock what the the clients want and the client feels good, that fuzzy feeling you mentioned, and that the shop has their best interest at heart.

Porky, I agree someone prices are the deal clincher for me as I do all my own TL on my bike.

But if I was taking my baby in I'd want to know that the people cared about me and not just my money. If I was Cbrundson I would feel exactly the same. I do buy most of my stuff where the prices are good AND the staff are friendly and remember my face when I come through the door.

One thing I noticed between the two LBS are their prices where similar. R5 difference on a R120 cleats is not going to make me want to shop for the lowest price. Petrol not worth it for one.

As mentioned I will still go to the other store, but only if my LBS where closed or out of stock.

And Porky, one nice thing about Somerset West is that we have 4 good stores that have their own atmospheres. Gives us choice.

I love my LBS cos they let me put down a deposit on my bike so I can pay it off Big%20smile