Woman design??

Matchstix

do mtn bikes come in compact frames ?

Just bought a medium giant trance 3  (05/06) depending on who's side you are on in the debate and she feels a little uncomfortable as she says is "feels" like the wheels are bigger and she is sitting higher off the ground.

no idea what the trance looks like, but my tranceX's bottombracket is higher than the hardtail, so i do sit a little higher off the ground.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The main Problem with the my friend is I need about an 19" frame with a medium frame toptube that is high on the front.

She has Long legs. Her femur is quite long, this means she has to so to sit more back in the saddle, which in turn needs a shorter top tube so that she doesnt stretch to much.

hmm. Pity. I got a Contessa sitting at home with XT/XTR and weighs around the 10kg mark... But :-( is a XS. Just basically got it for the frame cause of the WSD. But yes... If I were you... I would look for a WSD for her.

Most of the women specific bikes/saddles/gels/gloves/tubes/lube etc is just a sales gimmick. And most people fall for it.

thats what got the post started, but I saw that treks wsd bikes have a range of smaller bikes, Their large is a normal small however. .  so for the taller woman out there this presents a problem

Most of the women specific bikes/saddles/gels/gloves/tubes/lube etc is just a sales gimmick. And most people fall for it.

Yeah well....

Honestly, yes some ladies may fit on to the standard Geometry and the standard gloves may work, however, of the shorts, saddles, shoes, etc side of things, most women prefer the ladies designs.

There are basic physiological and biomechanical differences and thus there is a need for two different designs.

Unfortunately most of the generic Billy's that work in bike shops don't actually know how to fit, sell, or even explain this and thus you still find a lot of guessing and misunderstanding going on.

OK, here is a different thought. How many people on here are riding stock standard bikes, no changes in bars, saddles, pedals, cranks, bartapes, stems, etc.?

Have to agree with Picked on this one. The girls I know have all moved to WSD saddles and shorts for that very reason. Look, different things work for different people, but IMHO there is a valid reason for WSD, its not just a gimmick.

Yeah well....

Honestly' date=' yes some ladies may fit on to the standard Geometry and the standard gloves may work, however, of the shorts, saddles, shoes, etc side of things, most women prefer the ladies designs.

There are basic physiological and biomechanical differences and thus there is a need for two different designs.

Unfortunately most of the generic Billy's that work in bike shops don't actually know how to fit, sell, or even explain this and thus you still find a lot of guessing and misunderstanding going on.[/quote']

That is only your personal opinion as you clearly have not done any research into WSD. Nor have you ever had the need too... Right?

LOL 

Loon2009-08-03 05:22:08

one of the reasons the topic was posted is due to that there is no diffrence (in the scott bike at least) between the mens and ladies.

This makes one wonder how much diffrence there realy are in the WS designs. Or is it more cosmetic in the end of the day?

I can agree thatsmoe shorts gloves and shoes might be diffrent, but how much diffrent in the end of the day?

one of the reasons the topic was posted is due to that there is no diffrence (in the scott bike at least) between the mens and ladies.
This makes one wonder how much diffrence there realy are in the WS designs. Or is it more cosmetic in the end of the day?
I can agree thatsmoe shorts gloves and shoes might be diffrent' date=' but how much diffrent in the end of the day?
[/quote']

I used to ride a non-WSD mtb and now ride a WSD. I find the difference is huge. I will never go back to a non-WSD bike. It might not be beneficial for taller women though. I am 1.59 cm.

one of the reasons the topic was posted is due to that there is no diffrence (in the scott bike at least) between the mens and ladies.This makes one wonder how much diffrence there realy are in the WS designs. Or is it more cosmetic in the end of the day?I can agree thatsmoe shorts gloves and shoes might be diffrent' date=' but how much diffrent in the end of the day?

[/quote']

And there is only one way to find out, head down to your LBS, slap on a pair of Ladies shorts and head out for a 100K training ride. One of two things will happen...

1. you will love the shorts so much and your will change all your shorts to ladies...smiley36.gif

2. You will chaf away bits that you would rather not chaf away.... smiley36.gif

I agree generally re shorts, saddles, gloves etc.  I do also know there are some women who swear by their 'mens' saddles....

Bikes - everyone is a different shape and size.  Ride a bike / frame see if the geometry works.  I bet there are some men who would fit a 'wsd' design bike.  Manufactureres work on 'averages'.  'Average' dimensions for women are different to men (e.g. on average women are shorter).

I've yet to see the perfect 'average' person.  There's a broad (very broad) distribution.

Best thing:  try the bikes. see what works.  a lot can be tweaked but not all.

I'm 1,7m tall and find that I fit fine onto a small men's frame. 

When I was buying my bike, the gentleman explained very nicely that women generally have longer legs than men (proportionately), and that our torso's are shorter. 

The WSD should accommodate a shorter torso. 

I'm 1' date='7m tall and find that I fit fine onto a small men's frame. 

When I was buying my bike, the gentleman explained very nicely that women generally have longer legs than men (proportionately), and that our torso's are shorter. 

The WSD should accommodate a shorter torso. 
[/quote']

With should being the operative word here.

If you go have a look at the frame geometry (relation of top tube to seat tube) there are many manufacturers who use the exact same frames in their standard and WSD range...

Some only "move" the sizes (e.g. standard small = WSD medium), some only change the stem length.

Others only change the frame colour, and fit a WSD saddle; i.e. markteting hype!