Advice: What all purpose MTB tyre to use

Karl Beaton

I am using the Geax Saguaro XC Tyre's and have seen my butt twice now in the past weeks when the ground is a little wet and muddy. What duel purpose tyre do you recommend and must it be a 2.0 or 2.2 size.. thx miggies212009-08-02 07:10:09

Been using the Specialized Fast track LK 2BLISS tyre and not a single problem. Wet or dry.

Onetime2009-08-02 06:49:17

Kenda Karma is OK in the dry and mud for me, so I guess it can be considered an all purpose tyre, although I have not tried many others.

For all conditions except very wet and muddy, Crossmarks are very good. Thumbs%20Up

I'v been recommended to switch from my Crossmarks to Continental Mountain King for the Cape Pioneer Trail (jeep track in Oudtshoorn). Anyone have thoughts on using a specialized tyre like this for these conditions?

Velociraptors....

were have you been hiding?

under the bed with my tinfoil hat on...

I'v been recommended to switch from my Crossmarks to Continental Mountain King for the Cape Pioneer Trail (jeep track in Oudtshoorn). Anyone have thoughts on using a specialized tyre like this for these conditions?

I would have thought that the dry Oudshoord area is perfect Crossmark terrain...

Mud varies from place to place.

Mountain kings are quite good, especially for nasty KZN mud.

My Larsen TT's managed Mpumalanga Mud and wet conditions quite well, and the sandy wet stuff in Knysna.

My Crossmarks didnt like anything wet - dont use them any more.

Am also trying out Maxxis Ignitors 2.1 so far so good.

Velociraptors....

It sounds like you need some help...

But what do I know? I'm trying to fish my phone out of the pool with a speargunBig%20smile

Velociraptors....

It sounds like you need some help...

But what do I know? I'm trying to fish my phone out of the pool with a speargunBig%20smile

Help, yeah, I need that... You got any heavy duty tinfoil? This lightweight stuff is useless... The aliens are starting to take over....

What model speargun? For phone duty, I'd go with a Rabitech Stealth railgun with a carbon barrel.

If you want an General Purpose tyre (AT) it will never be able to cater fully for extreme dry/sandy to extreme wet/muddy. That said you will probably have issues in either of these areas or in both on the extreme side of each condition.

Thus if you want 1 tyre I would recommend get a tyre that best suites the terrain you will mainly find yourself in. My training terrain and for most part the races in GP/FS/NW are suitable to Crossmarks, Larsen TT's, Conti Race King. These are all tyre that handle dry conditions well. I am a fan of Conti Race King out of this list. If you are going to be in KZN, Conti Mountain King is a great tyre.  The common recommendation is Mnt King front, Race King rear, I have tried it, but feel it is odd to say the least. Race king will give you as much traction in mud as the Crossmark, plus will not clear mud well at all, but your front tyre will be looking great. Then in the dry, the Mountain King will be prone to slip out. So rather if in muddy conditions put on 2 Mnt. Kings in Dry 2 Race Kings.

This all said I think purely by chance I have stumbled onto a great set of AT tyres - Schwable  Rocket Ron's. They aren't the best in dry, so far have help up in the muddy conditions I have had them in, but all in all very reliable across the board. Plus they are fast and light. Just very over priced, so I may revert to Race Kings and suffer in mud should I encounter it.

with my limited knowledge I am going to side with TNT1. I got a set of WTB Velociraptors on my old Schwinn Mesa and after 3 years of road commuting and regular offroad riding I never had a problem, excellent grip, never wore down either, just dont run them too hard. Since then I have used Kenda Nevegals which were OK but what I am currently using are Hutchinson Scorpions that came on my Yukon; they are great in terms of grip and mud sheddding but are trashed, the knobs are falling off and the tread is about 60% at the centre - after a month!

I'm seriously considering going back to the Velociraptors