Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Is this a 88/89 Giro ? I took this bike over from my Dad recently. He bought it in 95/96. SLX tubing. Came with a 8 speed Campag Avanti groupset and Shimano BB. So I’m thinking a NOS frame lying in the shop fitted with later kit. According to what I can find , looks like Mondiale , Superleggera and Giro , all the same frame with different paint and group sets. Any other ideas / info would be appreciated. Can’t find too much on the net.post-47227-0-47596700-1545496318_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a 88/89 Giro ? I took this bike over from my Dad recently. He bought it in 95/96. SLX tubing. Came with a 8 speed Campag Avanti groupset and Shimano BB. So I’m thinking a NOS frame lying in the shop fitted with later kit. According to what I can find , looks like Mondiale , Superleggera and Giro , all the same frame with different paint and group sets. Any other ideas / info would be appreciated. Can’t find too much on the net.attachicon.gifD9BFE25C-BD12-4EC9-A854-FB09DC8A2F80.jpeg

I have exactly the same frame and I've called it Mondiale and I think late 80s. 

Who knows if I'm right, or wrong. I've had six Bianchi frames, all in different colours and all, ostensibly, from different times in the 80s. Two are easily discernible --- one had an English BB, so was obviously of Taiwanese origin; one is a collectible, so lots of info on the interwebs.

To tell the difference between the other 4 is impossible and to find out which is  what model, even more so. Such small differences that seem undescribed anywhere!!!!!!

I even sent pics to Bianchi Girl - nom de guerre --- of a Bianchi fundi in  the States. Even she/ he wasn't able to help.

So good luck getting any further -- Just call it a MODIALE, dress her up in some nice Campy and enjoy her.

Agreed. According to Bianchi Girl, Bianchi made hundreds of thousands of frames which they called different names depending into which market they were sold. Some of the frames needed serial numbers stamped depending upon the market (for example the USA). I have seen some frames with the model decal on the top tube.

Merry Christmas everybody. I realize that no one is reading The Hub over the holidays but I’ll leave this here for when you all get back ????

I acquired a nice Peter Allan 531 the other day, it has an Exage group on it which I would like to change. The hubs are 105 Golden Arrow so this gave me a clue that the group might have been “upgraded” at some time.

I’m thinking about going Golden Arrow on the whole build, I know it’s a modest group but it would be something different.

Is there anybody here who had a group set of bits they are willing to sell?

• 2 weeks later...