Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

A true labour of love LC.

She's beautiful, what size sprocket are you using? Anything smaller than a 25 would be too much for me!

But an excellent job, I hope she takes you many miles.

Thank you very much!

On the way to get the chain sorted.

The back sprocket is a 15T and the chainring a 51T. Don't have any spare sprockets at the moment but will see how it goes. I was never a sprinter and preferred the longer races at the time.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup.

Web-wide that seems to be the consensus.

The grey panel in the middle bothers me.

Was thinking the same blue with a cream panel to hold the decals, which I have also ordered and will be receiving in a day or so.

This bike has - more than any project I have undertaken - had me thinking backwards and forwards as to what to do. I'm still vacillating.

Period restorations are just not my thing...I want to ride it as much as possible. It must be beautiful and functional in a real sense.

I'll probably change my mind again, though.

The fork will definitely be re-chromed - this much if a certainty.

I'm always up for any suggestions, so feel free to dispense advice. :thumbup:

I have the same dilemma with a 80's Colnago Super I bought a few month back. The two larger decals on the down and seat tube are peeling a bit from the silver foil backing. The Super was an entry level frame in the Nago stable and therefore I don't mind repainting but the value of any frame normally drops once repainted.

Ideally I would love to acquire a Master frame (size 54) and transfer the Campy Croce dÁune group set from the Super. Then respray the Super and get another group set.

Good luck with the Olmo, please keep us updated as to what you decide.

Respraying in mid January.

Frame is a bit rough at the moment.

Have sourced parts I wanted to make this a daily rider.

Nice Chro Mo.

Really looking forward to seeing this one in the 'flesh' and the requisite drive way spin...

Yeah - that first driveway spin is always a peach if everything goes to plan. :thumbup:

We should both assemble on the same day at my place then go for a loop.

How's that seat-cluster? You gotta leave that naked and clear-coat it if it is as gorgeous as I hope!

I have the same dilemma with a 80's Colnago Super I bought a few month back. The two larger decals on the down and seat tube are peeling a bit from the silver foil backing. The Super was an entry level frame in the Nago stable and therefore I don't mind repainting but the value of any frame normally drops once repainted.

Ideally I would love to acquire a Master frame (size 54) and transfer the Campy Croce dÁune group set from the Super. Then respray the Super and get another group set.

Good luck with the Olmo, please keep us updated as to what you decide.

LC, I'm not sure where you read that the SUPER was an entry level frame. The info I've been able to find says that the Super was the top of the line frame, made from SL tubing, until about 1983, when the Master came into being. I think there were even Super Mexico models, in ref to Eddy Merckx's 1972 World Record in Mexico 1972.

In other words, I think the Super is as valuable as any Master, though Masters seem to be more in demand because of the Gilco tubing.

Anyway, that's what I've read, as is the following, 'stolen' from the interwebs!!

==========================

Colnago Super Frame Dating (12.18.2011)

==========================

1968 -- "Super" decal on chain stay

1968 -- Fork crown (sand cast) with two holes in the points at each side

1968 -- Fork tangs wide, no cutouts

1968 -- Club cutouts in all three lugs

1968 -- Bottom bracket shell with drilled holes (eight in circle plus one in center)

----

1970 -- Fork crown (investment cast) semi-sloping, flat front and back with two holes in

the points at each side

1970 -- "Playing card" club decal graphics (inspired by 1970 Milano-San Remo victory)

----

1971 -- Fork crown with clubs in top and two holes in each side

1971 -- Fork tangs narrow, no cutouts (or rarely no tangs)

1971 -- Club cutouts in all three lugs but club in lower head lug is now larger

1971 -- Hole in lower point of seat lug (last year)

1971 -- Bottom bracket shell with club cutout

----

1972 -- Black Club/COLNAGO decal on head tube/seat tube (two seat tube Worlds bands) and

COLNAGO on down tube

1972 -- Fork tangs with two holes (or very rarely three holes tangs or no tangs)

1972 -- Derailleur cable guide braze-ons top of bottom bracket shell

1972 -- Water bottle braze-ons on downtube

----

1973 -- Wreath seat tube decal with Worlds band at top and bottom

1973 -- Fork crown with clubs on top but no holes in each side

1973 -- Fork tangs with club cutouts (or rarely two hole tangs or no tangs)

1973 -- Club cutout in lower head lug only

1973 -- Introduction of the Super Pantografata

----

1974 -- Shifter braze-ons on down tube (option before this)

----

1975 -- Mexico model introduced

1975 -- Diagonal Worlds band added behind black Club/COLNAGO head tube decal

1975 -- Diagonal Worlds band with yellow Club/COLNAGO head tube decal used for one year

1975 -- Vertical COLNAGO seat tube decal with single diagonal Worlds band at top

----

1976 -- Fork crown with COLNAGO added to clubs on top

1976 -- Short Campagnolo or COLNAGO dropouts

----

1977 -- Fork crown with shallow triangles cut into back (no recessed brake bolt)

1977 -- Top tube brake cable guide braze-ons (an option before this)

----

1978 -- Fork crown for recessed brake bolt with shallow triangles cut into back

1978 -- Brake bridge for recessed brake bolt

----

1980 -- Fluted seat stay caps engraved COLNAGO and straight seat stays (no longer biconical shape)

1980 -- Brake bridge with cast square boss for recessed brake bolt

----

1981 -- Chain stay bridge is small spool shape (no longer tube shape)

----

1982 -- Chain stays stamped COLNAGO on sides

1982 -- Derailleur cable routing on underside of bottom bracket

----

1983 -- Aerodynamic fork crown

NOTE:

Year dates are approximate; changes might have occurred the end of one year or the beginning of the next for example. Paint schemes, panels, decals and chrome varied according to how importers spec'd their frames, so this all varied considerably and there are anomalies. Dates and details based on the Classic Rendezvous archives, the Wool Jersey Gallery, and Colnago and Bikcology catalogs.

Serial numbering only started for Colnago on USA-bound bikes when the CPSC started requiring tracking, etc. West Coast Cycles was importing Colnago at the time and the serial numbers started for their product. There is still no way to determine manufacturing date by the numbers, except that they are 1979 or later....

Thank you Heyyou!

I have done a bit more research and identified my Super.

The seller, who bought the bike brand new in the 1980's confirmed that he had not changed anything on the bike and was forced to stop riding after a serious motorbike accident.

The Rolls seat is stamped '87 and therefore I can assume the bike was a 87-88 model.

The Campy Croce dÁune group set appears to have been released in March 88 - the Delta brakes a year or two earlier. See http://campybike.com/ClassicEra.htm

​My frame is almost similar to the one shown in the VeloBase website http://velobase.com/Velos/ViewExample.aspx?ID=dedbd8ef-5dbe-4a5f-973b-4db705f3069e except that the dropouts on my frame are chromed and there is no "Super"on the chain stay(s). My frame also has the World Championship strips above and below the seat and down tube decals.

My frame is branded Ïnternational" similar to the bike recently sold under the Steel Vintage Bikes site. This bike is said to be a late 80's model and the red colour and Colnago decals are different. http://www.steel-vintage.com/colnago-international-classic-bicycle-detail

I stripped the bike yesterday and will give the frame a proper clean and post some photos in the next day or two.

Thank you Heyyou, your help is highly appreciated!

Looking for more bits and pieces I know I have somewhere I happened to stumble upon these:

post-44986-0-38865500-1387872323_thumb.jpg

I wonder what happened to Brancale, their products were very good and I even had one of their first pot-style helmets in the day.

Still looking for my leather strip cap (before helmets). I have an idea I lent this to a mate who never returned it!

I have this Colnago Super I think maybe older with the cables going over the bb.

Paint and chorme work still in great condition not perfect.

The only problem is to get a campy groupo period correct.

Cheers

Dion

post-10622-0-10066700-1387875508_thumb.jpg

I am bring in some clear waterslide and white waterside sheets

that is bubblejet printable for making decals.

The water side is much thinner than viynals

A4 sheets

I should have it in middle of jan

Will let you guys know what it looks like when I get it.

Cheers

Dion

Ah, memories!

My Detto shoes, bought about 1988, I think, my first pair of clipless pedal compatible shoes.

The Pumas I bought in the States sometime in 1990.

And, believe it or not, the tri-suite is from the Durban Iron Man in 1987.

Man I was thin, sorry to say that I wouldn't get one leg into the body section now, sigh!

post-25781-0-65815200-1387878768_thumb.png

Yeah - that first driveway spin is always a peach if everything goes to plan. :thumbup:

We should both assemble on the same day at my place then go for a loop.

How's that seat-cluster? You gotta leave that naked and clear-coat it if it is as gorgeous as I hope!

Sounds a plan. Keen.

Erm - it's a little 'rough'. Having taken some more paint off though, I'm liking the idea of clear coating the entire frame and going with the 'industrial' look. I REALLY like the lug work raw...

Finely brazed fillets are a thing of beauty.

Clear coating would be awesome. Those joints need to be visible.

Duncan MacIntire was a master, they say.