Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

I couldn't resist this frame, turning out to be a really nice bike as it is being built up.

Need some silver Dura Ace 7400 brake levers to match the rest of the group set

Edited by EvanB

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't resist this frame, turning out to be a really nice bike as it is being built up.

Very nice EB.

I hope this means that you are going to stop dibsing all the 7400 stuff before any one else can!

Very nice EB.

I hope this means that you are going to stop dibsing all the 7400 stuff before any one else can!

Still need this Silver levers, have a grey set...

Nice, very rare did you pick the frame up locally?

Nice, very rare did you pick the frame up locally?

Bought from Hunter Cycles in JHB, always have really nice goodies there

Guest notmyname

Can anybody help me with what year this neat Gary Fisher Wahoo was produced. post-47764-0-86828900-1422043108_thumb.jpgpost-47764-0-99798600-1422043092_thumb.jpg

Decisions, decisions.

Guest notmyname

See if you can PM Beattbox. He knows something about ancient Fishers.

Thanks for the lead. Will do after this event. If you're rolling this morning enjoy and be safe.

Guest notmyname

1999/2000

Thanks for the help. If you're rolling this morning be safe and enjoy.

Edited by Soapbox

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=1997&brand=Gary+Fisher&model=Wahoo

I think this is your Fisher, a 1997.  That copper red colour is a 1997 colour. Search the Bikepedia site carefully and compare specs with what is on your bike. They specify every years' specs, even the small changes that happened from year to year. For what it's worth I put my money on 1997.

Also, read some Bikeradar reviews on it. They gave it a very good write-up, even though it was not the top of their range bike at the time. 

Guest notmyname

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=1997&brand=Gary+Fisher&model=Wahoo

I think this is your Fisher, a 1997. That copper red colour is a 1997 colour. Search the Bikepedia site carefully and compare specs with what is on your bike. They specify every years' specs, even the small changes that happened from year to year. For what it's worth I put my money on 1997.

Also, read some Bikeradar reviews on it. They gave it a very good write-up, even though it was not the top of their range bike at the time.

Awesome! Thank DJR. I'll research tomorrow morn.

I'm going to pull the trigger then. This guy has a mint MB1 as well but not quite ready to part with it.

This is what Bike Radar had to say about it at the time (sorry about the formatting)It was for the model with a suspension fork, but is still relevant:

BACK TO MOUNTAIN BIKES REVIEWS

REVIEW

By Seb Rogers

December 17, 2007 7:45pm

Gary Fisher Wahoo £370

Proprietary Genesis geometry, a RockShox fork and rim brakes make for an unusual package that doesn’t follow the herd

BikeRadar score 4.5/5

BikeRadar verdict

Superb handling, great frame, no glitches in the component list: best of the bunch

The Wahoo is the least expensive mountain bike in the Gary Fisher range to offer the brand's proprietary Genesis geometry.

Say what? The idea behind Genesis is to put the rider's weight in the right place to improve climbing traction, descending stability and steering responses. Shorter chainstays and a long top tube, coupled with a short stem, give the Wahoo a distinctive look, keep all the rider's contact points - bum, hands, feet - in the same place as before, and create a bike with uncharacteristically thoroughbred handling for this price. It's stable when you want it to be and quick to respond when you need it.

Frame

The Genesis concept does exactly what it says on the tin, and helps set the Wahoo's ride in a class of one at this price. The frame is packed with thoughtful features, from the bulge-butted top and down tubes to the bridgeless, gusset-reinforced chainstays and radically airy dropouts. It neither looks, nor rides, like a cheap bike.

Equipment

Backing up this surprisingly 'grown-up' feel is a thoroughly sound selection of components. The highlight feature has to be the RockShox Dart 1 fork, which is far and away the best performer in this test. Lighter riders may find it a bit over-sprung, but it's smooth and progressive and, crucially, doesn't have even a trace of top-out clunk. Yay!

Masses of frame clearance gives room for grippy, fast-rolling and shock-absorbingly wide Bontrager tyres, while the rim brakes offer power on a par with budget discs with the bonus of being lighter, cheaper and easier to maintain. Fitting cheaper brakes even left room in the budget for a more durable Deore rear mech, and all the Bontrager finishing kit is well designed and works well. Disc hubs would've been nice, but the frame is ripe for an eventual disc upgrade and everything else works so well it'd be churlish to grumble.

Verdict

Of all the bikes here, this is the only one that doesn't cry out for an out-of-the-box upgrade. There's absolutely nothing here that you'd need to change, and it also rides brilliantly. A great frame, peerless handling and good components: all in all, a deserving best buy.

© BikeRadar 2007

Edited by DJR

So I finally got my Colnago Master back from painting this Friday. Ready to assemble. Have some stuff coming from the UK, so hopefully this postal strike won't go on too much longer as I really need to ride this bike. I'm pretty happy with the end result.

Who did this paint for you? My inherited Tomassini just came to look over my shoulder and got quite excited.

Who did this paint for you? My inherited Tomassini just came to look over my shoulder and got quite excited.

Jared at BMC in Salt River is the goto guy in Cape Town for painting classics.