The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

Agentgreen - your talk of never never land just reminded me of a sick track by Infected Mushroom... Damn, do those dudes ever rock!

I could quite happily see myself doing those trails on a DH sled...

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Scott High Octane 1 which I use for DHI in KZN. I will post pics once i get it back from painting.

• 2 weeks later...

post-9165-0-28929300-1307036516.jpg

New back wheel in the house...Hope pro 2 on a bomb proof Mavic 729....almost time to get back to the mountains so I can rock it!!!

Edited by agentgreen

well done agentgreen ;)

you going tubeless on that setup? if u have the $$$, get the UST compatible EX823s. They the bombproof UST equivalent of the 729.

Naaa, tubeless is just not viable where i ride, some 2 ply DH casing maxxis' and them extra thick tubes are perfect, have not had a flat or pinch flat yet running them as I do, one of the other guides runs tubeless and is always having to stop to repair or walk down because he ripped his tyre's on some loose rocks...just not worth it!

Also, I dont think the 729's are tubless compatible... the 823's are, but don't think the other's are (729 & 721)

oop's...read the reply properly before you post! my bad (it's the idiot gene!)

Actually got a question on tires, in anticipation of the rainy season I'm gonna pick up some wet weather tires but am having a hard time deciding which ones to get...the wetscream looks good to me, as we do have plenty of seriously muddy boggy sections in most of the track's in the area...but one trail especially, the near 20 km Abra Malaga, also has a K$KLOAD of wet rock...really, is some places the rainy season turns the trail into a flowing river over billions of little (and big) wet rocks, so how would the wetscream handle this?

The Maxxis webpage suggests the swampthing for that sort of terrain, but if the wetscream can also give good traction over wet rock's, it would be a much better idea given the levels of mud...

Any suggestions?

scrap all thoughts of a maxxis tire and go with Schwalbe. Either Muddy Mary, or if u want a spike, then go with the Dirty Dan. Schwalbe aint lying when they say those are their grip monsters. Sidewall protection for those rocky bits? Schwalbe again will serve your needs in every way.

btw: i just opened myself to being flamebait. Now i await said flames from the Maxxis minions :P

Guest Omega Man

well done agentgreen ;)

you going tubeless on that setup? if u have the $$$, get the UST compatible EX823s. They the bombproof UST equivalent of the 729.

I have 823's on hopes. Likey Likey.

Guest Omega Man

scrap all thoughts of a maxxis tire and go with Schwalbe. Either Muddy Mary, or if u want a spike, then go with the Dirty Dan. Schwalbe aint lying when they say those are their grip monsters. Sidewall protection for those rocky bits? Schwalbe again will serve your needs in every way.

btw: i just opened myself to being flamebait. Now i await said flames from the Maxxis minions :P

You need to ease up on that crack pipe of your bro.

haters be hatin... :thumbup:

Jarek, seeing that my Intense Tracer will be seeing some more jump action soon, what rubber do you recommend? I've got Kenda Nevegal 2.35 (tubeless) on at the moment? That ok?

banna: I've never ridden Kenda tires,so cant comment on them. I'm sure they fine, cos lotsa folks ride nevegals without complaint. But if they start giving you grief, Schwalbe or Maxxis, in order of my personal preference ;)

i cant wait to stick this to the narrow minded...

http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb6676027/p4pb6676027.jpg

banna: I've never ridden Kenda tires,so cant comment on them. I'm sure they fine, cos lotsa folks ride nevegals without complaint. But if they start giving you grief, Schwalbe or Maxxis, in order of my personal preference ;)

Ja, if I could only ride Maxxis I would, but it's real difficult in Cape Town area to get something like the 2.35 High Rollers. No one keeps them? I've seen the bigger 2.5's, but they're just too bulky for my bike.

I run Kenda Blue Grooves on my DH bike. I find that in general the Kendas are bigger than other brands with tyres 'the same size'.

My blue groove 2.5s are slightly bigger than Maxxis Minion 2.7's.

But yeah, In general, I'm pretty impressed. I haven't ridden many "DH tyres"... just Minions, High Rollers and Blue Grooves... and I gotta say that I prefer the Blue Grooves to the High Rollers... undecided on the comparison with the Minions though.

I run Kenda Blue Grooves on my DH bike. I find that in general the Kendas are bigger than other brands with tyres 'the same size'.

My blue groove 2.5s are slightly bigger than Maxxis Minion 2.7's.

But yeah, In general, I'm pretty impressed. I haven't ridden many "DH tyres"... just Minions, High Rollers and Blue Grooves... and I gotta say that I prefer the Blue Grooves to the High Rollers... undecided on the comparison with the Minions though.

Cool. Then I'm just gonna stick with the Kenda's. They're at least freely availble.