The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

I didn't mean a shuttling service, I want to know if we can get our own vehicles in there, or if there are any roads that lead to the top in that area?

What about Spanish Farm? I hear there is a dirt road tot he top but there is a locked gate at the bottom. Any idea who to speak to about that gate?

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HELP!

I ordered this chainguide http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1040 5-Bolt CD Black 38-44t

Right. Now the bashring on that won't fit my crank (my crank is 4-bolt)(yes, stupid mistake)

So I ordered this bashring http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12167 4-Bolt 104mm 40t White

But ...now I see the Chainguide is "CD" which means Compact Drive, right? And the bashring is 104mmm

How do I know my crank will fit the guide and the ring??

Does the CD on the Chainguide refer ONLY to the included 5-bolt

bashring (which I'm not using anyway, so it's cool, cuz my new bashring

is 104mm which'll fit) ?

Or does CD also refer to the chainguide...???

It has something to do with the crank's fitting right?

Help!

darnijl2009-12-30 15:16:59

?

I think CD stands for circle diameter. as the size is normally quoted as BCD or Bolt Circle Diameter. CRC just abbreviated the latter portion smiley2.gif.

As long as the new bashring covers the same size chainrings as the blackspire bashguard would have, you are good2go. So since the new bashguard can cover chainrings up to 40T, and the blackspire up to 44T, i reckon you are golden.

?

Bashguards are measured up against chainring sizes and their bolt holes. So it dont matter which bashguard you choose, as long as it has the correct number of bolt holes as your chainring, covers the size of the chainring , that is 36T,40T etc, and your chain device can accomodate the size of the chainring as well (that is the bashguard fits within the chain device), then you are good.

Capricorn2009-12-30 15:30:23

I think CD stands for circle diameter. as the size is normally quoted as BCD or Bolt Circle Diameter. CRC just abbreviated the latter portion smiley2.gif.

As long as the new bashring covers the same size chainrings as the blackspire bashguard would have' date=' you are good2go. So since the new bashguard can cover chainrings up to 40T, and the blackspire up to 44T, i reckon you are golden.

Bashguards are measured up against chainring sizes and their bolt holes. So it dont matter which bashguard you choose, as long as it has the correct number of bolt holes as your chainring, covers the size of the chainring , that is 36T,40T etc, and your chain device can accomodate the size of the chainring as well (that is the bashguard fits within the chain device), then you are good.

[/quote']

Nope.. (CRC Screenshot)

20091230_154150_compct_drive.JPG

I heard STD is for DH and most 26" bikes, bt then CD is for BMX cranks...?

Oh well, I already ordered, maybe I should just wait ad see smiley5.gif

thanks for that Daniel smiley1.gif. Following on that, i found this from Sheldon Brown

Compact Drive (MTB triple)

A system of using smaller-than-normal sprockets front and rear. This has the advantage of saving a small amount of weight, improving chainwheel clearance for mountain bikes, and perhaps making a slight improvement in shifting. This is done by going to a smaller bolt circle, typically 94 mm/58 mm or 104 mm/64 mmBCD

The downside of compact drive is significantly reduced chain life, and decreased interchangeability of parts. I consider compact drive to be a very bad idea for mountain bike use, but it seems to have become ubiquitous.

For mountain bike usage, compact drive typically uses 22/32/42 tooth chainwheels as opposed to the 48-38-28 or 46-36-24 used on earlier mountain bikes.

The original mountain bike cranks were mosly 5-bolt 110 mm/74 mm BCD. "Compact Drive" cranksets usually use the 94 mm/58 mm BCD 5 bolt, or 104 mm/64 mm 4 bolt cranks, as opposed to full size systems that have 24-28 tooth lows and 46 or 48 tooth highs on 110 mm/74 mm BCD cranks.

source

whilst my definition of CD was just rubbish smiley2.gif, the rest still stands: if the holes on the new bashguard line up with holes on your crank, and if the bashguard fits within the chain device, you gonna be fine.?

Capricorn2009-12-30 17:42:07

okay cool, so the compact drive was referring to the chain guide's bashguard. My new one will fit.

Thanks cap!