The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just drove by The Mill, and it's nice to see they've maintained those jumps very nicely. Very nice berm with little hip jump to reach the exit berm at the end of the one portion of the track. ?

I think i'm gonna be camping there for a while till i get it dammitall right smiley17.gif

Heya Mitch. where u thinking of building?

anyone know if JRussel survived Paarl? smiley2.gif

Capricorn2010-01-10 07:36:07

I have no idea where I would like to buildsmiley36.gif

I might come up to the mill next weekend sometime, so i'll let you know closer to the time.

that would be awesome Mitch. I could use some guidance. Do you do those jumps using your DH rig or other? I've tried before, but i think it's a crap load easier with a hard tail.

I've started a new 'trail' on Signal Hill. It's further down from where you bent your crank. Essentially cleared the weeds and stuff from the bottom section and am working my way back. I forgot to hire a weedwacker over the long weekends, so it was just me and that spade and no gloves. oi.

Anyways, this new bit of track hooks up the Urban Assault course, but the section at the Treehouse ( Remember those logs, followed by that little jump, down steep rocky slope, some turns then you at the base of that treehouse)

Capricorn2010-01-10 08:07:21

Awesome, I would love to come check it out. FOr the mill I take my hardtail DJ bike. Its much better. I couldnt even imagine doing those on my DH bike

It's definitely possible.. My friend does doubles on his 07 stinky with 66's up front.. Mitch are they those jumps you put up on PB? Near UCT?

It's definitely possible.. My friend does doubles on his 07 stinky with 66's up front.. Mitch are they those jumps you put up on PB? Near UCT?

Correct, it's at UCT off the M3.

It's definitely possible, but does your friend have 8" of travel both front and back? I'm not saying it's not possible, just quite a bit more troublesome for beginner jumpers.... I think old man DHK also had some issues clearing them jumps.

Ya im not saying its impossible at all. I'm just saying its way easier doing dirt jumps on a DJ bike. Due to factors like weight and geometry. Plus with a dual suspension DH bike, all that travel soaks up the jump lip and you lose a lot of momentum.

yeah. tell me about it Mitch. There is a jump at Signal Hill (in your avatar, when u go down that steep incline, it's right there on your left), and no matter how bloody hard i hit it, the rear just compresses losing a crap load of speed. I think DH rigs do better with lower incline jumps than DJ level jumps. The rear shock can really stuff it all up. Granted, i'm a noob, but as I said, DHK had issues, then i definitely am going to sukkel a lot smiley6.gif That's why i'm building that trail up at SH. Once the path is all cleared up, i will add some jumps. Will have to get some wood though. I will try to use the trunnks that are there, and hire a chain saw to rip it all up as requred, but I'm scouting for pallets. So if anyone knows where I can pick up quite a few pallets, the info would be much appreciated.

I built my ladder bridge out of pallets. My friends dad picked them up for me, I think it was a poleyard in Tableview on Blouberg road. Ill check with him and let you know. Let me know when you are riding/building at the UA track again and I might come up with a friend and help.

yeah, i know that pole place. It's off the R27 at the Total garage just at the turn off to Melkbosstrand. I will make a point of turning in there after work.

and thanks for offering Mitch. Some help would be awesome! smiley4.gif

but where's your ladder bridge though? in that massive-assive backyard of yours?

Capricorn2010-01-10 09:38:40

The one at the Total Garage (Poles4U, originally DiePaleDepot) is not the one where my friends dad got me pallets. I dont think they have pallets at Poles4U. Ill check when I go past there again(I go past often)

Did you get permission to build on signal hill? Because there is sooo much potential there!

oh ok.. then not the same pole place. But i will swing by the local Build It/builders warehouse.

As for SH, ask me again when the tracks done smiley17.gif As I see it, i'm not destroying the hillside, just using the natural features to their full potential smiley17.gif Council should thank me for cleaning up their tree cutting mess.. smiley17.gif