The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

Awsome pics how did the racing go at Sir lowry's I had a awesome Sunday at franshoek motor museum got given vip tickets to the event there today. Still can't get that awesome noise of those V8's out of my head!

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mooooooooooarrr!!

nice work there Tavis.

DHK: ask angus. he stayed for the race actual. My leg is farkin sore. and it's kinda weird, cos there is hardly a bruise, just a light discoloration, but the area above the knee is really swollen and it's super stiff.

1 or 2 we didn't have a camera with us but got a couple on the phone. But they did runs with a camera man in the cars so should be posted up on the net sometime or even on the news tonight. O and wow that Mc F1 is amazing wow

Jup the only one in the country. We were sitting with G-Murray himself as him and my Dad are tight. Ja the Mclaren F1 is my favourite car too sho!  

Yea, the pics are from PMB - taken today.

I've been working on a few more so will put them up in the morning some time.

Hey Man. Shot for coming to the race. I really hope the bug has bitten. We need you there dude.

Angus had a *** first run but did a 3.03 on his 2nd run. pretty good considering his *** bike. I reckon a decent rig is worth 5 seconds on that track.

As for me. My headset broke before my first run so i couldn't steer. dnf

Loubser had spares for my headset in the pit area so he helped me out there.

2nd run i was trying too hard and making mistakes everywhere. then just before the double rock drop i got a stick in my brake rotor. Had to stop and take it out. i then didnt have enough speed for the double drop and crashed. PROPERLY. dnf.

To all the guys in this thread that could have ridden but didn't.

There were only 45 riders at the race which is pathetic

considering the fact that many guys put in many hours prepping and

sorting the track out. You cannot bitch about the lack of variety and tracks if you weren't at the race as this was a perfect opportunity to try out a new and different track.

Vince and Chris spent multiple days going out there and working. Riaan Bosman worked through the night one night. I took a day of leave last Thursday to help finish the track. Last weekend guys spent the whole of Sunday in blistering heat to finish the track. For you!

Also. Chris has to pay for drivers, timing etc

out of his own pocket hoping that enough people show so he doesn't lose

money. The break even point is about 60 people so he probably lost money. If he puts on another race i will be very surprised. Also. How many sponsors are going to want to get involved in a

sport where only 45 people compete. The cross country folk get 1000 people showing up for a race. Us? 45.

The races drive the track building process so if there are no races expect the tracks to slowly disintegrate and eventually disappear.

YOU HAVE ZERO RIGHT TO BITCH ABOUT THE STATE OF TRACKS, LACK OF VARIETY ETC. IF YOU DON'T PUT ANYTHING IN TO OUR SPORT.

And for you to put something in is easy. show up for the races, get shuttled to the top of the track as many times as you want, have fun, talk sh*t with your mates, make new friends, learn from the fast guys and at the end of the day ride down the hill twice. That's it! You don't even have to do that last bit if you don't want to.

I welcome counter arguments and excuses but the fact remains. You weren't there when it counted.

your_name_here2010-03-01 03:09:58

Guest Jarryd Haley

Anyone got pictures from sir lowreys this weekend? Track was awesome btw.

thanks for making it worthwhile to go! Granted, i DNS'd cos my leg was stuffed up, and now sitting with a mild concussion (even though didnt realize it at the time), and a damn sore shoulder blade, after that first stack up top in the gully. ?but the bug has bitten big time. Not the best of tracks for a noob like me to try out at a race, but hottdamn i luvved the challenge.

Count me in for future events, and chris and others like him, need to keep pushing to make these events self sustaining. I'm willing to donate some $$$ for him to make break even. it's one thing to have a disappointing turn out (that can be fixed eventually), but to be hit in the pocket? that hits home right then and there.

I totally agree with your statements in the second post. We can't bitch and moan if we dont rock up. Period.

btw: planning to go back to that track and show it whose boss smiley17.gif any chance i will have problems with the farmers?

Your_name, I completely agree . Unfortunately, I was not able to be there and have huge respect for you guys who are doing so much hard work that benefits the whole DH community.

I was in Paarl early morning on Saturday and met some DH guys there. One guy did the road gap successfully for the 1st time and was super stoked - was awesome to see :-)  I was surprised to discover that these guys had no idea about Sir Lowrys race on Sunday and realised that I probably also wouldn't have known if not for lurking on this thread.

Which raises the question - isn't a large part of the problem that the guys are not yet used to there being regular races in CPT and that the advertising is not reaching everyone?  This is not a criticism in any way - more like trying to get everyone to focus on how to increase support of these events so they are self sustainable.

Also, does Chris or Vince have an account where guys can donate cash to support their projects?  This would allow guys who can't attend to support anyway and prevent them from losing their own personal funds and giving up in future.

Some guy that owned that flashy hotel on the hill came and moaned at us for shuttling on "his" road. Dick. the road is a servitude and is public land.

And to top it all the bastard isn't even South African. Damn Germans. Hehe.

The problem with using the road is the gate is usually locked. you can use sir Lowrys to shuttle. you come in at the first road gap. the problem is that there is still a massive push to the top.

I've also got some unfinished business there.

I plan to go back there in 2 weeks time and try come in from the other side. I.e. drive further up the pass to where the railway line is close to the road and walk from there.

You are welcome to join. We can fit 5 bikes on my truck. i have to say that I absolutely love that track. It's just so action packed at the top.