The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Found some interesting and useful stuff for DH trail building. Definately need to get some lines down SHDH that run diagonally across the hill, as opposed to straight down! I fear that by next summer we will just have a 10 foot deep rut to ride. haha.. Anyway, cap i thought youd enjoy the link!

Fifteen Tips For Trail Building

Yes we are all winners.

I have never actually seen a yeti.

The abominable snowmen are pretty elusive, but not to far from me (in Morningside JHB)there's the agents, so up here there are a few of these abominable snowmen wondering around.

Infact, I've ridden with Daft Vader a couple of times, and he has the sweetest Yeti of all...

Here's a pic of it

post-10758-068356400 1282828142.jpg

It's the only Yeti 303 in South Africa, and it's recently been unleashed on the frenchies in the alps...

post-10758-047716600 1282828512.jpg

But the one I'm wanting to get looks like this...

post-10758-066392200 1282828662.jpg

hahah. that's exactly what prompted me to apply a reverse gradient strategy immediately after the stepdown at the top of SH2. I read it a few weeks ago. damn good advice.

But it might not be possible to cause the track to snake around abit more as it will require chopping down trees. :unsure:

yeah but all those trees are Alien. So were actually helping... Its difficult tho cos theres some really cool things going on the straight, that i enjoy riding, and to cause it to snake down (i know will be cool) but you will miss whats currently there....

My biggest problem is that it goes by to damn quickly! I try put in 3 runs with a little building & thinking of new lines a session but walking back up totally kills me! Its more tiring than Tokai simply cos its a straight up the face climb..

Ahh well! I think signals gets a little bet better every day! And eventually it will be a rocking A-grade trail!

dont worry. what's on the straight can be moved. Just needs a very healthy dose of assbreaking ;)

Yeah, i totally agree: it's a straightline zip down and even though it's become way more exciting to ride than back before assbreaking effort was applied, it's still over waaaaaay too short.

thing is, making it longer is not going to be an easy task by any means. Also, the track's current location is actually on the short side of the hill, and it links up with SH3.

The high potential side is actually in the direction of SH2b, which is on the longer side of the hill.

I think that at the end of the day, there's gonna be two tracks:

One on the long side, more flowy, slightly less technical, more strenuous. massive assbreaking involved. Fun for both the DHer and the XC rider.

Short side: short, fast, a total rip and ride type of track, with probably the highest tech requirements to overcome due to it's short nature. Big balls only need apply here. ;)

Now that would be an awesome trail!!! Wow.

That Yeti is a beaut, I have never actually come across one down here, they are elusive.

I can see now what Capricorn meant by my Shova having Yeti colours, man and with those yellow rims.

Patches your one will look rad with yellow or white rims.

Maybe I should have my Shova's rear triangle fading into white :)

stryder: do it! then imagine the arguments about who copied whose suspension design :P

Loveme.DH/FR: interesting map there. You game? ;)

btw LDF: did u move the rocks in that rockgarden? cos today i really had to bash a bit. either that, i overcooked the entry again and lost sight of hte line ihad yesterday. man, luv it when that marzo soaks it up.

and dude, i'm gonna have to follow you and see what speed you come off that little stepdown before the RG. i really dont know how u gonna manage hitting the RG with speed and still taking that entry point without flying into the trees on the outside of the first corner in your track. I'm a hack/caveman on a bike, so best show me ;)

Also, if you take the left hand side line after that little step down, you hit some nice big roots before entering the RG. which is really nice. Wish the track had more of that.

SH1, or at least the one line i fancied on SH1, has some bigass roots en route. maybe we should expand that way before branching out sideways on SH2, or what say you?

I actually parked on the road, above "SH1" and did a little trial run down. Definitely potential for a line!

I think the hardest thing with SHDH is the fact that there are so many trees everywhere, it makes it hard to visualize where to build.

I know the Google earth image isnt very recent, but what i did there was try and find an obvious route between the trees.... Im really keen to have a bit of a build session on sat. Maybe plan an entire "CLASSIC" trail top to bottom. mark it out, and slowly develop it! Dude its untouched powder, (if we were snowboarders) up there, and potential for a classic is just up to us, time, and luck! I think we just need to visualize the route, find some natural features and build it!! I actually walked quite a large chunk below where SH2b is and there are some open areas, with drops, banks and gaps! I think if we are both there we can make some collaborative decisions and get on it!

On another note, my darling girlfriend got me the Von Zipper Sizzle MX for my Bday! yay! Pretty stoked, fogs up very minimaly.. only when im standing still. stoked, and it fits my face and helmet perfectly! Aweh!

dude, which of the sizzles u get? i have the mondrian, and that VZ rep chick is just OMGHOT! <--- i never said! :P

post-6789-068785400 1282848758.jpg