The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Building your own bike from scratch to super fun, enjoy!

Will post pics up of my 05 Kona Stab, soon as its up and running again.

Took her out for a first downhill run and snapped the mech hanger pulling everything into the rear wheel.

New deraileur, chain and cable all bent beyond repair :(

yeah... I just had a creaky BB... and got a little carried away with the wrenches. The pile-o-parts was the result. Tonight is re-assemble night, hahaha!

As far as I know, it's just time for a new BB. Apparently the Howitzer BBs don't last too long...

but seing as though I'm Sainting the back part of the drivetrain... this may be a good reason to Saint the cranks :D

i read somewhere that certain yearmodel howitzers were not that robust. I bought my howitzer last year, and it's running flawlessly. I guess like anything, it has to be serviced every so often. Let us know how those Saints are. Been thinking about getting lighter pedals, and I've only heard good things bout Saints in terms of weight and stiffness.

OUCH CRAIG. was wondering what happened to you.. luckily it didnt destroy your spokes as well.

Spokes survived somehow, locked the brakes when I heard the crunch.

I have 5 link that are bent on my chain, think I can remove them and still get by?

I have a 36 tooth up front and a 11-34 tooth cassette.

there is some means to measure the correct length of chain. removing more links will of course make it too short to achieve all your low gears. So it will work, just u gonna be a gear or two short. Might be good to adjust the L setting on your rear mech.

Will have to give it a go and see if it works.

Good to see Sam Hill back on the bike hey?

Looks like he was just taking it easy, resting up for the big bash this weekend.

Peaty is looking strong for a win, he looks keen for that jersey again :)

Not gunna lie, I'm really bummed Greg lost the World Cup by 0.37s to Gee. Both great riders though.

yeah i think that was peaty's plan this whole year: bask in the glory of wearing the one thing he's been waiting a damn long time for. Then save body for one last bash, albeit I doubt he will resign after this. Then again, I think he should. many many damn fast youngsters are needing a team. Wonder who will sign up Lewis Buchanan. Replace one person from the uK with another ?

but yeah, it was a tough battle down to the wire, and it's difficult to say the better person won cos 0.37 is not very much a measure of anyone's capability. However, looking at the points ituation is adifferent story. Greg failed to qualify high enough in one race (cant remember which was, Leogang?), which gave gee a big shovelful into the point's hole.

and yes! Sam's back, and totally chillaxed cruising down the hill. Hope the man's got his mojo together for worlds.

Personally, I see Gee, Steve, Greg, Blenki, Brendan and Hill as the most serious contenders for the crown. I never have my money on Gwin, albeit he is an awesome rider. Real pro approach.

I think Peaty has enough left physically but his competitive edge seems to be fading, needs a kick in the pants.

Dont know if Sam is strong enough for this weekend, but its the last race so he might give it all.

Next year's world cup is going to be wild, I cant wait.

So many good riders in the top 30. Keen to see Troy Brosnan's riding next year, he will be a bit bigger and stronger then, he is awesome.

yeah, of the jnrs, T-Bos is definitely topping my favorites-list. Then again, the late surge by Buchanan was damn impressive. that boy is big, and damn fast. But T-Bos really surprised alotta folks at Windham. Camped the hotbag for a long while. I see he releases the cougar in Anneke Beerten. She couldnt stop gushing while in the commentary box :lol:

Another rider to watch for next year, and coming years is Manon Carpenter (welsh champ). She been ripping it up, consistently hovering in and around the women's top 10. (granted, there aint many women in DH to begin with, but she is solid).

Chances that Needles will have to look for a new team? I dunno, first podium ever at VDSole? I dunno, seems he been holding back all this time.

What u think of Danny hart? isn't that dude just so damn loose? good results this year for him coming out of the jnr ranks.

Needles has loads of potential stashed away, he clubbed the sea otter good and solid.

And he seems like a cool guy too. Trek give good support to their riders so I dont think he will be looking round, unless you know something I don't?

Danny Hart is awesome, good character and riding style. He doesn't get enough coverage if you ask me, that's party Giant's fault, they need to get more videos out like trek, syndicate, redbull/commencal and monster/spesh are doing, I lap that stuff up, everyone want to see team vids!

Oh Andrew won the US open, my bad.

I remember Graves won sea otter on a small travel bike, he is proper good!

i meant in terms of world cup podiums. well aware of his awesome run at the US open. but that sorta performance somehow didnt translate into a consistent uplift in overall performance, which is a huge pity, for as you say: he has massive potential. Martin Whiteley did mention he will be working with his guys again next year. I'm assuming he is referring to the current bunch of riders: Holy Mosely, Needles, jusso and Neko etc.