The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

hey patches' date=' u mech eng?

[/quote']

yup! and in  2-3 or so years, I'm hoping to have a chem eng degree behind me.

I see that you're into industrial design? Have you had much exposure to solid modeling CAD and stress analysis software like Inventor or Solid Works?

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha! yeah, seems odd... but I work on the borderline between chemical and mechanical. So I figured I would get more in touch with my chemical side?!

But as for making something cool... THAT is what I'm really interested in. I've messed around with some designs for frame. Still want to build a prototype. Here's some of the basic stuff...

Here's a hard tail I designed. It's simple, but totally possible to build with some decent welding skills and off the mill tubing.

20091112_151835_001.jpg

And here's part of a stress analysis that I did on a part of a DH frame I haven't had too much time to mess around on.

20091112_152049_002.jpg

Those 3 yellow arrows show a total of 360kg on the frame and it barely budges. To be more accurate, the part of the seatpost tube where the clamp would go moves the most and even that is only by 0.2mm. And the frame so far only weighs 1.5kg.

But hey! This is not my day job... just a hobby. I'll probably start off designing and cutting a few custom brake rotors to start off with?! haha!

OMG. I want a Troy Lee D3 so badly.

I went on the website and had to physically restrain myself from clicking on the buy button.

your_name_here2009-11-13 01:08:07

haha! yeah' date=' seems odd... but I work on the borderline between chemical and mechanical. So I figured I would get more in touch with my chemical side?!

But as for making something cool... THAT is what I'm really interested in. I've messed around with some designs for frame. Still want to build a prototype. Here's some of the basic stuff...

Here's a hard tail I designed. It's simple, but totally possible to build with some decent welding skills and off the mill tubing.

[img']https://cdn.bikehub.co.za/uploads2/20091112_151835_001.jpg[/img]

And here's part of a stress analysis that I did on a part of a DH frame I haven't had too much time to mess around on.

20091112_152049_002.jpg

Those 3 yellow arrows show a total of 360kg on the frame and it barely budges. To be more accurate, the part of the seatpost tube where the clamp would go moves the most and even that is only by 0.2mm. And the frame so far only weighs 1.5kg.

But hey! This is not my day job... just a hobby. I'll probably start off designing and cutting a few custom brake rotors to start off with?! haha!

That looks really cool patches, what software are you using? I have onced use some or other 3d modeling freeware , was quite a lot of fun.

Anyway, I hope everyone else here is enjoying work/schoolsmiley17.gif. I just got home after an afrikaans exam now. ek dink ek sal a bietjie fiets ry now. by Tokaismiley36.gif

Thanks jrussell!

The software used here is Autodesk Inventor 2010 Professional.  Personally my favourite, although Solid Works isn't bad.

But hey, cos you're a student, Inventor 2010 Pro is free... beats paying around R70 000 for it! So yeah, if you're into 3D modeling just PM me and I'll tell you how to hook up Inventor for free (and yes, 100% legal too smiley36.gif)

patches2009-11-13 05:20:11

Murray when did you break it?

And have none of you guys done the road gap yet?

I haven't smiley9.gif' date=' but both my riding buddies do it regularly...

Just interested...

This one: (this is a friend of mine doing it on an AC with a Manitou Stance)

Why is your buddy wearing PT shorts?

Thanks jrussell!

The software used here is Autodesk Inventor 2010 Professional.  Personally my favourite' date=' although Solid Works isn't bad.

But hey, cos you're a student, Inventor 2010 Pro is free... beats paying around R70 000 for it! So yeah, if you're into 3D modeling just PM me and I'll tell you how to hook up Inventor for free (and yes, 100% legal too [img']https://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/smilies/smiley36.gif[/img])

How's it compare to 2009?

Thanks jrussell!

The software used here is Autodesk Inventor 2010 Professional.  Personally my favourite' date=' although Solid Works isn't bad.

But hey, cos you're a student, Inventor 2010 Pro is free... beats paying around R70 000 for it! So yeah, if you're into 3D modeling just PM me and I'll tell you how to hook up Inventor for free (and yes, 100% legal too [img']https://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/smilies/smiley36.gif[/img])

How's it compare to 2009?

...hmm... well I've worked on both, and for the most part they're the same. Here are some of the differences I've noticed.

- 2010 has a "ribbon" interface (like office 2007). One can turn it off, but I just got used to it.

- It has plastic part design, for injection molding and all that kinda thing.

- can analyze the mold to show the plastic will flow into it, and where the hotspots would be.

- shrink wrap. basically turns an assembly into one solid part.

- and the static and dynamic analysis has been taken to a whole new level.

There are way more new features, but those are just a few that I use often. (maybe not the plastic molding stuff... but it's cool!).

haha! I feel like I've totally hijacked the DH thread... will have to make some more DH designs on inventor to get the two topics related again, haha!

Jason you lie there is a new windows 7 windows 7 gamer please get it from where ever you getting it from it really cool! O and who seen the intense 951 29er I think it a stupid idea

yep Murray: i saw it on MTBR, and been following that thread for a while now. I must say, that Intense 951 is an absolutely awesome looking frame. I really wish I could ?buy one smiley6.gif

But not sure what's so silly about it? xplain?

well have bigger wheels looks as though they will hit the frame with 9" of travel and it will also increase the chances of been castrated on your ride

LOL.. u obsessed with the little u got? wont risk it on a 29'er? LOL smiley17.gif

JJ!

I read somewhere it rolls over stuff a bit better than 26'ers. That's always a good thing i reckon. A lot of folk on MTBR are of the opinion it's not long before we see 29'ers on the World Cup circuit, and kicking ass.

Jason you lie there is a new windows 7 windows 7 gamer please get it from where ever you getting it from it really cool! O and who seen the intense 951 29er I think it a stupid idea

ok show me then