The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

oh 4got to ask Jason: where was the first pic taken?

and i confess: i case as well. like a beast! smiley4.gif But i'm still learning to control the attitude of the bike in the air so i land properlike. I think doing DJ'ing will fix that for me in a hurry...

DHK: hope you aced your exams. Passing exams pays for future axles smiley17.gif

Capricorn2009-11-18 13:58:42

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its this gap by the side of the jeep track, a little further on from DH3

HAHA Murray what did you do you tool?smiley17.gif

Its quite boring, i just did it cause we had a camerasmiley1.gif the track that leads up to it is very overgrown and the water has damaged allot of it, you gotta bunny hop ALL the time over the errosion. my legs hurt so bad by the time i reach the jump its crazy

and i confess: i case as well. like a beast! smiley4.gif But i'm still learning to control the attitude of the bike in the air so i land properlike. I think doing DJ'ing will fix that for me in a hurry...

Do you know about braking in mid air? The momentum of your wheels alter your.. tipping so as not to case...

You brake the wheel in which the direction of which you want to go in.

That doesn't make sense.

If you want to tip forward, front brake.

If you want to tip backward, back brake.

apparently

More simple use your body weight and if you want to go from side to side lets say you want to go left stick your left elbow out you got left

Do you know about braking in mid air? The momentum of your wheels alter your.. tipping so as not to case...You brake the wheel in which the direction of which you want to go in.That doesn't make sense.If you want to tip forward' date=' front brake.If you want to tip backward' date=' back brake.apparently[/quote'']

No my friend it is not as a mx bike. mtb wheels doesn't have the weight ie-moment of inertia to make such a difference in how a bike reacts in the air. The bike is only controlled by how you shift your weight when you hit the jump. i'll try to find the link of a video clip of how to jump.

good luck. GT Rules

I di not agree cause wow if my wheels are turning fast enough and I pull back or front it makes the front go down more it seems alot when you pull the front actually

Do you know about braking in mid air? The momentum of your wheels alter your.. tipping so as not to case...

You brake the wheel in which the direction of which you want to go in.

That doesn't make sense.

If you want to tip forward' date=' front brake.

If you want to tip backward' date=' back brake.

apparently

[/quote'']

that isnt true, both brakes will pull you forward, i have tried. but what is helpfull is lifting up allot at the edge of the jump and then as soon as you leave the jump, pull the back brakes and youll kinda glid through the air at the same angle as apposed to going up and then down

yep, i agree with DHK: back or front braking makes the nose dip. The degree of the nose dive depends on the speed the wheel was spinning. It's simple momentum transfer.

also, whilst how you leave the lip determines the attitude in the air and the arc you take, you still can control the attitude mid-flight, just as Jason did by straightening his legs to CASE his jumps smiley17.gif.

The point is to get the bike under you when you in a relatively crounched position during the arc from popping off the lip till about mid way. THis gives you options to either straight your arms (nose down), or straighten your legs (rear down) so as best to control the landing.

That DVD Fluidride: ride like a pro explains all this a lot better than I can, But i believe i've covered the important bits.

ah.

Okay well i remember reading it somewhere.

Thats why theres a big 'apparently' at the bottom.

Oh well.

Good jumpin'

....is casing bad? i find it faster than when i land evenly, i also prefer being more upright for new jumps that i havnt done as you cant pull up as easily as you can push (rear brake/front brake) the bike down if there is a bit of a bad situation

thing is, and APPARENTLY smiley17.gif so, is that you cant steer with your rear wheel. Rear follows the front, so landing slightly front first or both wheels together allows for better control at landing. Watch them World Cup clips, and each time the commentators will point out when someone's cased a landing, and listen to them mutter some form of disapproval.

Fastest way over a jump is APPARENTLY not being upright on the bike with front going first to control direction upon landing. You will be going over in a flattened arc. Even when going for big air, it's probably best to go down nose first so as to use the transition properly.

Only relating what I've seen and tried myself off vids of the ?people who are APPARENTLY pros.?

Maybe the forum champs can give us better insights from their experiences.