The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

my dad is going to get me a new one over in america.. however i have to pay towards it hence the sale of my demo 7

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good news there spesh321. I want to ride that track next. ANy idea when the nationals are taking place?

Jason: we going? smiley1.gif

You bet!

Just hope i'm a lot fitter by then smiley2.gif I dont give a hoot if I come stone last. I just wanna give it a good run. Jason, next time you should give my bike a spin. Murray says it needs less rebound damping (or did I misunderstand DHK?). I know the marzo's first 20-30mm is super plush. Trademark of the 2010 range at the moment. wont even try changing that.?

Just hope i'm a lot fitter by then smiley2.gif I dont give a hoot if I come stone last. I just wanna give it a good run. Jason' date=' next time you should give my bike a spin. Murray says it needs less rebound damping (or did I misunderstand DHK?). I know the marzo's first 20-30mm is super plush. Trademark of the 2010 range at the moment. wont even try changing that.  [/quote']

Dont worry ill be right behind yousmiley17.gif 

That sounds cool, ummm well when I saw him bobbing around on your bike, it looked like the rear was a little slower then the Marzo up front, maybe thats just how you prefer it? I like it when my whole bike's stroke is completely even IE, the same amount of travel is used on the front and rear when i bob (which is why im looking forward to the Marzo so muchsmiley1.gif)

I also like my rebound to be set equally on the whole bike, but it would be cool for me to try yours outsmiley1.gif have you fiddled around with the settings at all on your shocks?

with my bike, i love to fiddle around with all the settings, then a take it for a ride down my road to get the feel perfect. i have rocks and loose stones and rutted areas in my road so its quite a cool little testing areasmiley1.gif

?more rebound = less rebound damping.. i think we're saying the same thing here. smiley2.gif If you lower rebound damping, you get a bigger kick from the shock/fork. At least that's how i understand it. Lemme know if i got it backwards.

but i think it's the coil pre-load to be honest. I will fiddle around with the sag settings later and see how it goes. Jason, will keep what u said in mind.

Maybe that's the reason why my front seems to be washing out so damn often these days (ever since it came back from the shop after they had checked out my rear hub).

haha. perfect little workshop you got there Jason smiley17.gif, but agreed. fiddle test, rinse repeat.?

yes. rebound damping counter acts the spring force that tends to push the wheel back down after compression. So either my coil preload has been fiddled with, which I believe to be the case, or my rebound damping control is set too high. I have my settings written down here somewhere... i'm pretty sure i have very low rebound damping.

Um okay well my fox DHX3 is so simple there is a little nob that has an arrow in, showing which way to turn it if you want it to be more bouncy or less.

Ya I think thats it, casue I turn my little rebound nob to the " - " sign to make the shock phsically rebound faster..... which decreases the rebound dampening.

Ya Cap thats probably the reason your fronts washing out, your head tube angle changes waay to much when the fork and shock compress

and it could be the preload, or the rebound, Ill only be able to tell if i rode the bike. but what i do is i turn both rebounds onto the slowest mode (phsically) then change the rear to what i like, then adjust the front accordingly, therefor you can have your preload at any setting, unless you got your preload on waaaay to soft. but check it out, it cant hurt to fiddle around a little right?smiley17.gif

Also might be a good idea to plot all your adjustments on paper so you can always revert back.

forget my wallet: i'm thinking about my medical aid smiley4.gif

Jason: i actually started writing them down, because my LBS tech tended to change things, little realizing he and I are not of the same weight. he means well, but...

O you will see one day jason. I just need to learn how to bleed brakes and service a rear shock and then I can service my hole bike by myself

Jason: I think you hit the nail on the head there. for the past few runs down SH, i've been wondering why it felt like I was further back on the bike that normal. This frame tends to squat a little in the corners: at the fastest portion down SH there is an entry and exit corner which you essentially just hit at max speed. I felt quite far back, and it might be because of you just said: the head angle is getting pretty slack cos the rear squat is over emphasised.?

I lost my last set of readings. Will reset the sag now, and then just fiddle after a few runs during the course of this week. Thanks for your help guys smiley4.gif

hahahasmiley1.gif I barrely send my bike in ever, I do pretty much everything my self....although i cant rebuild a wheel yet so when i get my hub that will have to go in.....BTW, will i have to send my entire bike it to get the thru-axcel hub fitted? or just the front wheel? i just thought maybe they gotta get everything spaced out or somthing?