Grip shifts vs. shifter levers?

HowellingWulf

...so my shifter levers are packing up and I need to buy a new pair. Currently I have Sram X7's. I have to decide between X9 levers or X0 gripshifts.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of levers vs grip shifters besides the difference in price, less moving parts, accidental shifting and wear on the grips? I'm leaning torwards the grip shifters with Serfas silicone grips as posted The Crow on the bottom of this page https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=49390&KW=grip+shifter+shifter+levers. Any advice?

I went grip-shift (SRAM X.0) and i have never thought of changing back to anything... they are the business!!

Swapped from X9 triggers to X0 gripshifts. They are good and all....but...I think I prefer triggers

Personal preference. I prefer triggers. They haven't let me down. X9 or XO. The biggest difference between these two is the price.

The gripshifts are lighter. The triggers weigh 225 grams a set. Anybody who weighed their gripshifters?

Gripshifts are only 40-50gm lighter. I have just installed mine they change sweet and you have less clutter i.e. leavers on your h/bar esp if you have lock outs for front and back.

My personal preference: XO trigger shifters. I have had mine for 3 years and they always shift perfectly. Very precise. 

I absolutely love my grip shift, its almost like having Campagnolo on your mtb, you can shift more than one gear at a time.

Every single customer that i've sold a set to in the past few months have all been very happy with the upgrade / change.

My biggest problem with gripshifts are that they shift your brake levers quite a bit more to the middle of your handlebars. Sure you can cut your grips down etc. But it's a problem if you like to use something like Ergon's etc.

Thanks for all the replies. I should've added a poll. From what I can gather is that it basically boils down to personal preference. Will give the grip shifts a try. Hell, if I don't enjoy them I can always play motorbike-motorbike with them and challenge the guys on their 50cc's at the local high school. Thanks again!!! Ricky Bobby2009-08-12 23:25:12

Once you get used to grip shifters you will not go back. Two people I ride with have just changed to grip shifts and are never going back. You will wonder why it took you so long to change.