Polar questions.....

PappaBear

Ok, I'm thinking of entering the world of heart rate training.... here is some questions:

1.  What is the pricing for Polars which can download my data, and give me altitude as well.....

2.  What models should I consider?

3.  Is there polar monitors that can be used for both running and cycling?

But that is a bonus, cycling is the main "must have"

Thanks!!

Polar CS600 or RS800CX (I think) or S725

Infrared download with altitude.

Price range about R3000 second hand (CS600) and about R5k new.

RS and the S can be used for running.

I quite like the RS800 as it can be used with the GPS unit......no more foot pods, sensors etc.  Running, cycling.  easy.

S725X is one of the nicer models price wise

I have the old S710 been usung it for the past 7 years

paid R3000 for it back in 2002

Spinnekop, I did a bit more research and found that the S725X or RS800CX would definitely be the way to go.

If you get the GPS with RS800CX does it mean you can measure speed and distance without other sensors?  If so that would for sure be the way to go, seeing that you have to buy the footpod as an optional extra anyway.....

what do you use?  my friends all use the S725X for cycling and running, but they don't have the GPS function.....  so I'm thinking RS800CX, because we all know that you have to have cooler gadgets than your buddies!!  Big%20smile

Found pricing to be R4500 for the S725X and R5500 for the RS800CX.

Guest Agteros

I run & cycle and use the S710. GPS is nice for tracking routes etc, however it still averages speed and distance, so peak speeds will not be measured, only averages over 1sec or 5 seconds or whatever.

For cycling only have a look at the CS400 - it too can download to the PC.

If you want total control of what is displayed on screen, use a Garmin Forerunner 405. It has 4 screens, each configurable - items number of line (max 3) which it can scroll through. It can take a speed /cadence sensor too.

Polar is nice myself I have a CS300 multi sport cycling and cross trainning. Expensive, I was un-informed when I bought mine R2500-00 no cadence. Rather look at the Blackburn range as they include cadence and H/R. Your choice.

I currently have the blackburn delphi....  it is "heel ok" regards to heart rate and cadence.... but it doesn't give you the detail regarding graphs on your computer for analysis afterwards.... that is what I'm looking for now....

also no running option on the Blackburn.... biggest drawback on my current Blackburn is it has no altimeter... but I no the better models does...

maximum speed not a must while running, and the cycling sensor has all the speed details...

if computer analisys is what you are looking for then the higher end range of polar is what you are looking at, did you look at Suunto? I myself do not know their functions but cant hurt to look at them.

Spinnekop' date=' I did a bit more research and found that the S725X or RS800CX would definitely be the way to go.

If you get the GPS with RS800CX does it mean you can measure speed and distance without other sensors?  If so that would for sure be the way to go, seeing that you have to buy the footpod as an optional extra anyway.....[/quote']

GPS=no sensors on the bike.  That's why I like it.  Only if you want cadence, that is going to be one sensor.

The GPS has functions like tracking on Google etc.

what do you use?  my friends all use the S725X for cycling and running' date=' but they don't have the GPS function.....  so I'm thinking RS800CX, because we all know that you have to have cooler gadgets than your buddies!!  Big%20smile[/quote']

I don't run.  Running is for people that does not have a bike.  Tongue

I use the CS600.  VERY nice but not good if you want something for running, thus I would go for the RS800CX. 
I actually had a look at them a month ago.....but I want the PT Edition which will only hit SA in late September I have been told........

Found pricing to be R4500 for the S725X and R5500 for the RS800CX.

That is about right yes.  Your GPS unit is going to be another R1-R2k I should think.

if computer analisys is what you are looking for then the higher end range of polar is what you are looking at' date=' did you look at Suunto? I myself do not know their functions but cant hurt to look at them.[/quote']

Not a bad idea.
I know a friend that is quite the gismo freak and he opted for the Suunto above the RS800CX.  Made me think.

How big is the GPS unit and where do one mount it?? 

I am trying to go for as few sensors and different units as possible....

As far as I know it goes with a strap on your arm as you do not want to mount it permantly due to use with bike and running, size maybe as big as a I-pod.

Pappa, vra eers, soek jy 'n horlosie tipe heartrate monitor. Ek sien jy vra vir hardloop en fietsry.

Die Horlosie tipe: S625X (dan kry jy die footpod) wat jou draf afstand meet saam.

Die S725X wat sonder 'n footpod kom, maar as jy 'n footpod koop werk dit ook vir die hardloop.

Altwee gee altitude.

KYK WAT JY GEMIS HET:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=56899&KW=S625Xpopeye2009-08-19 00:54:15

Papabear, I had exactly what you did, the delphi, and wanted to up my game, for running and cycling. I went through everything the guys above is  telling you, take into account that most of the polars they mention dont come with the foot pod and some you have to buy another speed sensor If you for instance have 2 bikes. heres some things to consider.

Have you seen the size of a polar foot pod? Its massive and you need to charge it seperate R7-900 bucks

speed sensors can fail needs extra batteries you need one per bike.

If you go for the above mentioned route, you still dont have GPS (even If its just to see how much you climbed or the route you did on google maps.

I know there are Polar GPS's out And If You can get that then I guess Polar Is cool. I dont know them so I cant judge those.

What I do know is, You wont need anything more than a garmin  forunner 305. Yes Its big, but thats the point, you cant see small numbers while you are running/ mountainbiking, I got used to it quickly and at R2600 at Iwearhouse in somerset west, Its a bargain.

you can do everything except load maps onto it.

Oh and on the mounting question, I carry it on the arm for triathelons and running (obviously) and when I cycle I just strap it to my Handlebar, I have taken a piece of High density foam, cut a circle out of it and then a slit in to go onto the bars, easy as pie, dont bother paying R800 bucks for the Polar/garmin mounts.

I probably should have mentioned this earlier.... but I am rather specific that I want a polar, not another brand...... 

Not saying Garmin and Suunto isn't great brands, but I specifically want a Polar......  with the Weblink option, so it should be a newish model....