Best mtb for a lady?

wynandvdmerwe

20090828_025722_3109_1236632956.jpg

Not as nice as the 96. Rides quite hard and replacement shock will be tough to find with Merida discontinuing the frame and all.

Fast and agile though.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to give you an idea:

96 1000D RRP R23799   Our Price R21999

96 3000D RRP R28071   Our Price R25999

Anthem X1 RRP R28550   Our Price R24999

Anthem X2 RRP R19075   Our Price R17000

Phone us for final pricing and availability.

The Anthem X is a very very nice bike - I have one  - the geometry suits me and I love the handling.  It was great in the Alps and likes Cederberg rocks too. 

I have also tried the Merida 96.  I hated it.  The handling wasn't great, it felt harsh (yes the shock was set up properly!) and just not as responsive.

Give me the Anthem anyday.  It has also recently won one of the British bike mags 'bike of the year' award.
Cheryl J2009-08-28 06:34:41

The Anthem X is a very very nice bike - I have one? - the geometry suits me and I love the handling.? It?was great in the Alps and likes?Cederberg rocks too.?

?

I?have also tried the Merida 96.? I hated it.? The handling wasn't great' date=' it felt harsh (yes the shock was set up properly!) and just not as responsive.

?

Give me the Anthem anyday.? It?has also recently?won?one of the British bike mags 'bike of the year' award.
[/quote']

and that is why you should take the bike for a ride further then the parking lot but our shops do not offer that.

or this frame with her old components?

?

20090828_025722_3109_1236632956.jpg

I have a Merida frame as well, with the shock in the same position, and I can't reach the shock to adjust it while riding - have to stop to reach it, which gets a bit irritating sometimes.

Other than that, I love my bike

Santa Cruz Juliana.

1. Overpriced
2. Under specced
3. Heavier than the Merida and Giant.

Don't bother Wynand. Only consider the SC if she's able to back-to-back it with a Merida and she honestly prefers it. If not' date=' stick to the Merida for a sure bet kick ass bike[/quote']

Not sure why you say it is under-specced. They don't sell them as complete bikes. You do however get part kits for it.

I have one and my bike weighs 11.8kgs which I don't think is that heavy.

I've had mine for 4 years now and if I had to buy another bike I would buy the Juliana again. I feel so comfortable on it.

Last time I checked they were doing complete build with the option of frame only. Frame only with custom build always works out more and the complete bikes costs WAY too much for the kit bolted to it.

11.8k's is not bad, but by today's standards quite heavy for a 100mm bike.

Cheapest stock 96 weighs less than that and will work out cheaper.

That's why.

Edit: You are right. Frame only with parts kit. Just remembered. Still works out more than complete bike out of the box and if you don't take the parts kit it works out quite a bit more.The Crow2009-08-28 08:29:39

Last time I checked they were doing complete build with the option of frame only. Frame only with custom build always works out more and the complete bikes costs WAY too much for the kit bolted to it.
11.8k's is not bad' date=' but by today's standards quite heavy for a 100mm bike.
Cheapest stock 96 weighs less than that and will work out cheaper.

That's why.

Edit: You are right. Frame only with parts kit. Just remembered. Still works out more than complete bike out of the box and if you don't take the parts kit it works out quite a bit more.[/quote']

I was fortunate enough to find someone who wanted a frame and I wanted all the components so between us we bought a complete bike which saved us both a lot of money. My SC has a 130mm fork.

I don't think you can build up a complete SC for under 25K though.

The Anthem X is a very very nice bike - I have one  - the geometry suits me and I love the handling.  It was great in the Alps and likes Cederberg rocks too. 

I have also tried the Merida 96.  I hated it.  The handling wasn't great' date=' it felt harsh (yes the shock was set up properly!) and just not as responsive.

Give me the Anthem anyday.  It has also recently won one of the British bike mags 'bike of the year' award.
[/quote']
and that is why you should take the bike for a ride further then the parking lot but our shops do not offer that.

Which is why the Bicycling 'ride before you' buy was such a great concept.  Of all the dual sussers i tried on the day (round delvera - could test track Smile) the merida 96 was the worst.....  really didn't suit me
Cheryl J2009-08-28 09:38:07

Which is why the Bicycling 'ride before you' buy was such a great concept.? Of all the dual sussers i tried on the day (round delvera - could test track the merida 96 was the worst.....? really didn't suit me

Just out of curiosity: how much time do the okes spend setting up the bike before you ride it? I've never been to one of these so I wouldn't know.

The Anthem X1 or X2 is the way to go. Light and great price for what you get. Even in the men's geometry, much better for a woman that the Merida. More relaxed geometry, less twitchy. Next best is the Specialized.

The Anthem X1 or X2 is the way to go. Light and?great price for what you get. Even in the men's geometry' date=' much better for a woman that the Merida. More relaxed geometry, less twitchy. Next best is the Specialized.[/quote']

+1 for the Giant

-7,5 for Spez.

If it's between Merida and Spez, get the Spez. If it wasn't for the fact that you and the misses aren't Giant fans I'd say Giant for sure. It's good. Plenty good. Heck, I'd buy one...