Tubeless - Is it really worth it???

Zula

I've been riding my hardtail for nearly 1000km's and the back tyre is starting to look a little smooth.

So.....

Everywhere I look and everyone I talk to is using tubeless.

Is it really really worth it?? I have'nt had any issues with some slime in my tubes and good old tyre liners.

I dont have tubeless ready rims so I would have to get a strip.

One last thing, I live in Gauteng, what are the opinions as to the best tyre combinations for the climate??

Thanks!!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its worth it. But dont let someone sell you those expensive kits. Search on the hub for DIY tubeless convertions.

Since ive been running tubeless no problems where before I was prone to punctures and tried every product on the market.Just think no more pinch flats as well.  Also I use OKO tyre sealant, which I happen to sell as well.

rad006 whenis you next shipment of oko to CT? My stans is about half and i want to give the oko a go. Will prob need some in the next month or 2. Will you post something when ur planning a order down to CT?

Yes just put tyres on and away you go, Might need a new Valves though as the one was replaced with a makeshift valve but it did its job...

Jaco I need a guy willing to buy a whole box from me, then he can distribute it in CPT.

A box of 12 bottles with shipping will be R820 = R68.33 per bottle compared to R80 retail

So special hub special

Dont bother with the DIY tubeless unless you are the kind of person who likes taking everything part and spending more time getting something to work than actually using it. You can get a stans conversion kit for R650 if you shop around and that comes with everything you need, plus its far less likely to let you down, and leave your tyre in a pool of sealant on raceday.

Tubeless tyres are pricey at the moment but I recommend the Continental Mountain Kings UST they work well in the mixed conditions we have in Cape Town at least. Tubeless makes a hardtail ride much more comfortably as you can drop the pressures right down with no fear of pinchflats, plus the tyres just seem to corner better without the tube and liner inside.

I just got mine so I'm still testing it, but I pulled out a mother of  thorn after my last ride and after a few spins the tyre sealed lekker and lost very little air.

parabola2009-09-09 07:09:21

what do one need if you already have tubeless rims and tyers on?

I bought the wheelset new but has tubes in?

can i do it my self or do i need to take the wheelset to my LBS?
Skaap2009-09-09 07:08:50

If your wheelset is tubeless you must just put on tubeless tyres. Dont compromise with other things.

it has tubeless tyers on already, but there are tubes in?

I dont need strips ne? just that other valve thingy and sealent right?
Skaap2009-09-09 07:13:48