MAVIC CROSSMAX SLR RELIABILITY

Schwynn

I have been sitting behind this PC reading and looking at reviews on these wheels for a month now.

It would be nice to have a set of these on my mtb but I am all cockeyed and more confused than before I started looking.

It seems that the Mavic MTB hubs are not very tolerant of muddy conditions, however, some guys claim they're the bees nees!?

It would be a shame to spend that amount of money and end up with wheels going in for repairs every month!

So, what is it going to be?

Mavic Crossmax, Easton XC one's, DT Swiss XR 1450's?

If you own a set of any of these wheels, I would like to hear your 2c worth please.

Mr Bornman, you can also say something if you wish. smiley5.gif Schwynn2009-09-29 11:18:26

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Crossmax`s  they your only proper Tubeless wheelset from your options.

Ive heard lots of problems with them but with other wheels as well...

Eastons seem bulletproof

In Order from my preference: Mavic,Easton,DT

I can sell you a set of new eastons if you like?

Dunno about the reliability, but please tell me why everyone is on about these wheels? I assume they're for XC, how light are they? Are they tubeless ready? How much do they go for?

Dunno about the reliability' date=' but please tell me why everyone is on about these wheels? I assume they're for XC, how light are they? Are they tubeless ready? How much do they go for?

[/quote']

They weigh 1420g and go for about 7.9k

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30984

That's a lot of money for a wheel set. I see they have Hope Pro 3 with ZTR rims that weigh the same but cost half. Or you could go slightly heavier but get the Pro II hubs with ZTR rims for less.

Don't listen to me though, I'm a Hope hubs fanboy.

Hog, I am listening to everybody at the moment! I know nothing about these things, that's why I am interested in hearing everybody's views and experiences. See experience is knowledge! smiley1.gif

These hubs have a rubber seal that needs constantly lubricating.Easy enuf to do but not during a long ride.It prevent you freewheeling as the chain will be thrown of the cassette as it engages.Get a set of I9's.They are the business!

@ HR - It feels like someone is tightening the brakes when I go up hills!! So I need all the help I can get spinning up those wheels. smiley9.gif

You should also know I am not exactly the lightest person out there and my current wheels are doing funny wobbly things when I brake!!Schwynn2009-09-29 11:44:28

yes. but in my eyes it is erelavant. the wheels are superb. we have 4 sets in the house. no bearing issues, no spoke breaks(they use ZACRILL spokes and cost R35 per spoke depending on shop). they are roughly 1.6kg, SUPPER stiff and VERY racy. they are the stiffest of the 3 wheelsets.

P.S. i am talking about the mavics

mavic has an 85kg weight limit! Most people dont know this.
Crap their weight limit is 100kg's call Dragon Sports in CPT they will confirm.

mavic's freehub bearing do need service now and then but you will see when because the freewheel dont spin as freely as usual. other than that they are SWEET