changing to another lube

stewie911

I want to start using a dry lube on my chain.

I should probably remove the lube currently on my chain.

Is it fine to remove it with diesel?

I have one of those chain cleaners with the little brushes where you run the chain through while it's still on the bike.

And also, can I use the dry lube on other parts of the bike?

Ive been using benzine, it works the S@#t and doesnt leave any oily residue. Also have a mate who is a jeweler got him to pop the chain in his ultrasonic cleaner in ammonia. It was amazing how much gunk came out of a "clean" chain

Gnarly Neil2009-09-29 14:08:01

Some good lubes actually "strip" the old lube before drying up so I guess its not an issue. I use Wit-Blitz lube (Epic White Lightning Dry Lube) and I understand this is what it does.

But when I switched from wet to dry lube I bought a tin of Finish Line Citrus Degreaser from my LBS (R80 randts) and its the shiz. Wicked stuff. But then again I was using Finish Line wet lube.

Im not sure Stewie.... I always figured that why we reapplied lube. Comments??? my chain and cassette are showing far less sign of wear with the benzine.

The possible problem with dry lube is that it does not penetrate into the chain as it should. Cool to lube the outside - keeps the teeth lekker but does zip for the chain?

Was talking to my LBS mechanic about lube's 'n chains and he mentioned that he soaks the chains over night in lube for major services. But he did say that for my needs this would be overkill and just applying my dry lube regularly is good enough.

Look at your needs and then decide what is best for you.

From what I gathered from internet and LBS's, the lube is to keep friction to a minimum between chain and casette, but there is some oil between the links that shouldn't be removed.

IMHO the ONLY place that lube should be is between the links (ie. the rollers) anywhere else is an overkill and source of friction/wear...

In this case less = more!! (if applied in the correct manner & place)

• 1 year later...

Ive been using benzine, it works the S@#t and doesnt leave any oily residue. Also have a mate who is a jeweler got him to pop the chain in his ultrasonic cleaner in ammonia. It was amazing how much gunk came out of a "clean" chain

<edited><editID>Gnarly Neil</editID><editDate>2009-09-29 14:08:01</editDate></edited>

Benzene works fine, if you want to get CANCER. Seriously if you use it please at least use gloves...

I use White Lightning Clean Lube. It says to apply then wipe off the excess. Seems a bit odd to me as I would have thought lube on the outside of the rollers was a good thing.

On a motorcycle the chain is an o-ring chain so we don't have to lube in the rollers, the sole purpose of the lube is to lube the contact area between the rollers and the sprockets

BTW, do these tools you clip on the chain and run it through work well? Any particular make better?

Haha, I've learned so much since I started this thread. Couldn't believe I asked those questions and it's only a year ago.

Those chain scrubbers work good. I've had the park tool one, but haven't used it for more than a year.

Now I just remove the chain, soak it in parafine(which I keep in an old whey protein container) and then in warm water with sunlight. Clean off the sunlight with running water and dry the chain.

This I do when the chain gets really dirty.