Heart rate way to high

CJVDM

Get a Power Meter then you do not have to worry about your heart rate Big%20smile

Yea thanks, thats all i need, another "gimic" to spend my money on Tongue.  Lemme 1st do a race again with some decent times before ill start with a power meter.

Porky was right, to much techi stuff these days.  It just confuses the hell out of me.

CJVDM2009-10-03 14:18:27

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heart rate is not determined by your age!  Don't fall for that 200-age crap.  I'm 38 and my max is just over 200.  That means nothing.  I go out and have 'relaxed' ride and my average is around 150.  Trying to ride at around 130 would bore the crap out of me!

Don't worry, you won't fall over if your heart rate goes too high, you will just run out of breath and stop!!

Yes you will burn more fat at 80% for less time than 60% at a longer time period.

Listen to the colonel. He's so thin he looks like a reed.

Yes, but what colonel doesn't tell you, but cynically implies, is that you will burn more fat at 80% than you would at 60% for the same period of time!

Did the Mogale Spring race yesterday on the mtb with knobblies max hr was 183 and average 155 Didnt go fast as I used it for prep for the Cruise.

Heart rate is not determined by your age!  Don't fall for that 200-age crap.  I'm 38 and my max is just over 200.  That means nothing.  I go out and have 'relaxed' ride and my average is around 150.  Trying to ride at around 130 would bore the crap out of me!

Don't worry' date=' you won't fall over if your heart rate goes too high, you will just run out of breath and stop!!
[/quote']

and blow chuncks like I almost did yesterday...twice in same ride...Dead

Yeah, thanks, will do.  Perhaps i will just forget abt the HR for a month and then see whether the 60% is workable then.  As things are now, i dont even have to peddle, just need to stare at the bike for the HR to get to 60% Embarrassed

may be it is a she bike..........happens to me when i stare at ladies, hr goes up!!!
Help.Me.2009-10-04 05:07:18

Guest colonel

Just go ride your bike and dont listen to anything anyone says here.

Don't worry' date=' you won't fall over if your heart rate goes too high, you will just run out of breath and stop!!
[/quote']

Big%20smileWhat I've learnt so far, is that HR monitors are for roadies. When going MTBing, the terrain is just to inconsistent, and trying to ride on the tar with my MTB just doesn't feel right. Riding on the tar with a racing bike is just not the same! Go MTBing! There are so many great places to ride just on our doorsteps - where ever you are in SA! Enjoy it, rather than checking your computer/HRM!Big%20smile

The 'fat burning zone' concept is ok if you can ride for several hours. You burn more fat at higher intensity.
Thing is' date=' i propably dont know enough abt HR theories.  My understanding was that a certain zone is better for fat burning while a higher zone will not burn fat but sugar.  Thus, if i train in too high a zone, ill get fitter and be able to ride faster, but it will take a while longer to get rid of my target exess.[/quote']

You burn a higher percentage of fat at lower intensities. But you might actually burn a higher quantity of fat at higher intensity.

e.g you burn 100kJ at 60% MHR and 60% of that is fat i.e. you burn 60kJ from fat and 40kJ from other sources.

Now lets say you up your intensity and burn 200kJ at 85% MHR and 30% of that is fat. You've still burnt 60kJ of fat, but you you also burnt 140kJ from other sources and doubled your total energy consumption.

Most research shows that fat burning over long periods (e.g. 24hrs) depends on total energy consumption, rather than the percentage of fat burn during exercise. Here is a literature review outlining the research:

Myths Under The Microscope Part 1: The Low Intensity Fat Burning Zone

There may be other, valid, reasons why you wouldn't want to train above 60%, but the 'fat burning zone' is not one of them.

Rare.  Sound advice from LA's biggest fan.

Everyone's HR is so unique, using it as a basis for anything for the first 6 months is hit and miss.  Record your heart rate and how hard the ride was.  After a few months you should be able to match HR fairly closely to effort.  Of course by then you may well understand your body well enough to not need the HRM, but at least you get Vitality points with a Polar.

Ive started training after a lay off of approx 6 years.

Just to put things in perspective for you, I have started training (MTB,ing) after a layoff of approx 14 years (Mid 20 to Late 30). Turned 40 last week. Starting @ 102kg now 80kg.

I never go out without my HR monitor, could get my HR up past 200 in the begining, Now I K@K to get it past 190.  This took me 2 years to accomplish.

As one of the other hubbers said, forget about your HR, you will learn where not to go, and if you go there for to long, worst that could happen you will fall over, if you mannage to keep it there.

I can tell you this, depending on how good and fit you want to get, there is just one way, Cycle and Cycle hard, for as long as possible, 3 weeks hard one week slow.

Enjoy your firts 6 months to a year, loose a couple of kilos, and then worry again about your HR, get use to the fact that it will sky rocket in this period.

Guest colonel

Rare.? Sound advice from LA's biggest fan.

Only if Lance would listen to me and stop cheating and giving false hope to millions.... smiley12.gif

Edman, Aragon makes for very interesting reading, if somewhat above my firemake place. Is there someone local that you know of that is able to provide assistance to frustrated athletes with weight loss issues?