Garmin Edge 305 SUCKS!

Tankman

My advice, stay away from the Edge 305 unit!

In 3 years I have now had 4 Garmin Egde 305 units.

The first lasted me 6 months then it was dead as a bat one day. Replaced under warrantee.

The second unit lasted me 1 year and 6 months and started switching off every couple of minutes during a ride. Avnic wanted me to pay for replacing the unit due to the out of guarantee period, I refused as this is a design fault on Garmin?s behalf, I have loads of documents to proof this. Still the guys at Avnic responded like this is the first time they hear of this problem and that this was a unique problem on my unit.

Want to see the proof, here are loads more complaints regarding the same issue:

Switchin off Problems - The hub

Turning Itself Off - Motionbased forum

Recent problems posted on the hub

Same problems - posted on the hub

The third unit lasted 10 months, same problem as number 1, dead as a bat this morning!

So let us see what excuses Ill hear from Avnic tomorrow! Will let you know how long unit 4 lasts!

I don?t think the service from avnic is anything spectacular, purely because us south-africans are not use to this type of service. The U.S. has a replacement policy on almost anything that is still under guarantee. It is only here where they still have a "fix it with blou draad and isolation tape" attitude or better yet, if you ignore the problem long enough it might go away.

If their products (edge 305 and cadence sensors on all units specifically) were designed properly we would not have to keep sending it back. I am totally gatvol for garmin due to their bad designs and I dont see them doing anything to rectify the problems. Garmin have p*ssed me off and I am now shopping for a new brand.

My advice, stay away from the 305 units!

Tankman2009-10-23 08:12:20

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same experience with 3 X 305's

Paid in the difference on a 705 and have been a very happy camper since (about 8 months now)
DawieO2009-10-04 12:25:00

For all the crap I have had to put up with, even if they give me a 705 for free, I would feel better using a new brand all together.

How frustrated were you those 3 times, data lost, riding without a unit and having the freeking thing switch off every couple of minutes, waiting on the replacement units etc.?

I cant take it any more!Tankman2009-10-04 12:34:17

This is quoted from an email from avnic regarding the switching off problems of my second unit -

?The unit came back this morning and all tests were clear. Dewald, who uses an Edge 305 and a 705 on a daily basis was happy with the operation of the unit and so was our technician Jason.?

Needles to say after 3 minutes of riding the same problem persisted!

I asked for the technical report with all the "test" and I am still waiting for that

Ok i wont buy any Garmin stuff. Otherwise how was the rest of your day?

had a lekka ride this morning thanks, no idea how far though!

Bought two 305s September 2007 for mrs mountain_lion and myself.

Both been running fine from day one, used daily on MTB & road.

Had to reset mine once because it did not want to power up, but excluding that, no problems.

Same here - been using mine for more than a year now (bought 2 Sep 2008) and have not had any such issues (only a usb pickup issue if I had virtualbox running).

I cannot understand that a company like Garmin that produces awesome GPS units for automotive and marine use can come up with crap like this. I do not care how many glowing testimonials are written, the same problem with regard to replacement of a known failure regularly comes up. Hell there has even been threads where you can do your own fixes. Luckily I have never had this type of bad quality with any of the Polar units I have used through the years.

I have used various Garmin GPS's through the years as well that gave and is still giving awesome daily service is atrocious conditions.Why can't Garmin do the same with their bicycle units. I think the problem is with Avnic Trading who does not or cannot give the same satisfactory backup/replacement service quality as Polar.

Strange, i am the opposite, had endless problems with polar and have now gone the 705 route.

have you tried charging it ?

seriously? on the 3 different garmin chargers I own, 2 different usb ports with 2 different usb cables on 2 different pc's, nothing!

I cannot understand that a company like Garmin that produces awesome GPS units for automotive and marine use can come up with crap like this. I do not care how many glowing testimonials are written' date=' the same problem with regard to replacement of a known failure regularly comes up. Hell there has even been threads where you can do your own fixes. Luckily I have never had this type of bad quality with any of the Polar units I have used through the years.

?

I have used various Garmin GPS's through the years as well that gave and is still giving awesome daily service is atrocious conditions.Why can't Garmin do the same with their bicycle units. I think the problem is with Avnic Trading who does not or cannot give the same satisfactory backup/replacement service quality as Polar.
[/quote']

here it the fix you are referring to: http://blog.mtbguru.com/2008/11/06/surgery-on-the-garmin-edge-305/

If you asked me 2 days ago, I would have been promoting Garmin, I have always liked their products and the 305 is not the only Garmin product I use. I have applauded some of the functions on their units and been very loyal towards the brand.

BUT... i have been experiencing the same problem with the same unit for to many times now, how can i carry on supporting and promoting them?