Garmin Edge 305 SUCKS!

Tankman

Had a chat to Jacques @ Avnic today quite helpful have hooked up the unit as per instructions from Jacques on the garmap website. According to the site my unit is ok and already has the latest software v.3.20.Confused Well I will check if it is working later when/if I get onto the indoor trainer.

Feedback to follow in a day or two.
Dirty Twin2009-11-26 11:26:20

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In your dreams.  Avnic maintain that it is the policy of Garmin international that they will only replace a 305 with a 305.  Even if you are willing to pay in extra for a 705, they will not do it.  You have to take the 305, sell it privately and then buy a 705! 

I have sent a link to of this post to Garmin US' date=' let us see what they have to say smiley25.gif [/quote']

Tank you are a Star

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

I am so gatvol of getting to a race with what I think is a charged unit only to find that it wont switch onAngry. Garmin should sort out their design problems.

I am going to keep on posting on this thread until there are 10000 views everyone must know about thisDead before they spend 3 - 3,5 grand on a 305 or even more on a 705.
Dirty Twin2009-11-27 07:32:49

In your dreams.  Avnic maintain that it is the policy of Garmin international that they will only replace a 305 with a 305.  Even if you are willing to pay in extra for a 705' date=' they will not do it.  You have to take the 305, sell it privately and then buy a 705!  [/quote']

Not quite true. I also had an Edge 305 that served me faithfully far a long time. No freezes, seizes etc. Nada, zilch. Unfortunately after a fall the screen began dying on me, and I sent it in to Avnic. They came back to me and said that I could either get it replaced with another 305 for a flat rate of R1200, or I could get an upgrade replacement for R2200. Obviously I went for the 705, and have yet to regret my decision. I am a very happy chappy with my Edge 705. What I have seen on two separate occasions, is that the Edge owners do not ensure that the unit completely clip in on the mounting bracket. This will then eventually lead to the unit coming of during a race, and then cry out that it is "Garmin's fault".

In your dreams.? Avnic maintain that it is the policy of Garmin international that they will only replace a 305 with a 305.? Even if you are willing to pay in extra for a 705' date=' they will not do it.? You have to take the 305, sell it privately and then buy a 705!? [/quote']

?

What I have seen on two separate occasions, is that the Edge owners do not ensure that the unit completely clip in on the mounting bracket. This will then eventually lead to the unit coming of during a race, and then cry out that it is "Garmin's fault".

None of my units has ever come undone from the clip, or even been dropped! Please man... how many units have we got reported here giving the exact switch off same problem? You might have been dropped...

You might have been dropped...

I think that comment was totally uncalled for!Angry I just gave my personall experience and never made a personal attack.

I thought it was quite funny, cause you could have been dropped from the bunch, dropped on yer head, etc... smiley2.gif

Hi

The most amazing thing is that we put up with this cr@p. Take a unit to Avnic and explain that it keeps switching off while riding and you will get an unusually blank stare. They will then tell you that you are the very first and only person that has ever experienced this problem. They even manage to look genuinely perplexed that something like this could happen. A google search for  "edge 305 shutdown" does of course reveal a slightly different picture and you will get 452000 hits! For those battling with the maths 452000 is quite a lot bigger than 1. Sad to break the news but you are not that special and here are others (lots of them) that have experienced the same latent defect. As Avnic do seem to monitor this forum perhaps they can stand up an explain the real truth!!

Garmin have a serious problem and denying it just aggravates the situation!!

The only bright light on the horizon is that there are competitors entering the market. Garmin's arrogant stance will be their downfall. Bring it on!!

Question from my side -  Is the current 305's still having the problem? Still interrested to get one if the problem is sorted out. Is the complaints mainly for the older ones?

my last unit was 9 months old.

this was supposed to have the new chip set and battery connection, according to avnic.

my last unit was 9 months old.
this was supposed to have the new chip set and battery connection' date=' according to avnic.

[/quote']

Mine was 12 months old but started giving problems at 9 months courierd my unit to Avnic on Monday. Confused hope something gets sorted out.

Tank nice website will have to start saving.
Dirty Twin2009-12-02 05:36:44