MANKELE Avalanche Race!!!

Mr. Nature

Ive packed 3 bags to stay warm lol....

Ive got 130mm front travel and 5.5" rear Wink

Look for a semi pimped grey bike with Blue wheels

thats to much! we are doing it on hardtails!! Team Chucker!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CoolOnly 5 wets have pulled out so far, still a few places open. Line entries tomorrow between 6-8. First shuttle leaves at 08:00 and racing starts at 09:00.

RACE REPORT

HOLY COW was this a race and a half....

Was awesome fun, well organised ex the weather lol....

I Crashed plenty....

Got scared out of my life with the BIG HIT equipment I saw and all the big talk and at the end of they day 3 XC bikes one....

1st Santa Cruz Superlight

2nd Commencal SuperNormal (HT This guy was the KING)

3rd Titus Motorlite

And guess what?????

I CAME 3rd WooHoo.....

Not bad for going into all the course not knowing what they had to throw at me and only being beaten by 2 Locals who knew the trails like the back of their hands...

Well done to all who competed.... ESP the girls....

Well done to all those you braved the Rain....

And Thankyou organisers for an AWESOME EVENT!!!!

Not quite XC though with those HUGE dropoffs,offcamber turns and boulders to ride over but hey was fun....

Pretty sore now though....

Over and Out....

Awesome event!

My only gripe was the first stage. Too much pedaling! But there was more than enough goodness to out weigh that!

I ruined my overall chances on stage 1. Epic fail! During the riders briefing, I was working on my bike. When they mentioned the first turn being a LEFT, I didn't hear it. I was first off the start and ended up taking a wrong turn (RIGHT). Proceeded on a rad technical descent for a few mins, which was actually the best part of that stage. Then I had to push back up to the course, the push hurt me! Within a few mins of that, my hangover kicked in big time. Had to sit out the second run, vomiting... then sleeping. It was a horror show Dead

Managed to get it together for the 2nd stage. Ended with 3rd quickest time for the second stage, and 4th quickest for the 3rd stage. No hope for the overall, as I was 15mins + down after stage one. Lesson learned Embarrassed -----> LOL

All in all, it was a super fun weekend. Lots of looseness, on and off the track Wink It was also very interesting to see the variety of different bikes. Some of the fastest times of the day were done on both XC and DH bikes Shocked

Hey Brad Nice to finally meet you and wow you were quick today.... Seems I need more practice on those jump right off the moutain downhills...

Hey Brad Nice to finally meet you and wow you were quick today.... Seems I need more practice on those jump right off the moutain downhills...

Was good to meet you too! Wink

I thin SA had its first official SUPER D event???Smile

Quote from the internet somewhere:

A super D race is best described as a downhill cross country race. They normally lack the technical danger packed elements of the downhill and in most cases, have some significant pedaling.

Usually, a Super D is a timed event and can have either individual start times or a mass, Le Mans style start where everyone goes at the same time.

This is a great event a lot of people can enjoy. There isn't a whole lot of climbing so you don't have to be in great shape, although it doesn't hurt, and you don't need a $4,000.00 downhill bike to make it down.

Any bike will do for a Super D race, but this category of racing is where the all-mountain/trail bikes with 4, 5, and 6 inches of travel can really excel.

If you're thinking about getting into racing, but you think you might lack the endurance required for a typical XC race, The Super D is a great place to start.

Interesting....

Well im pretty broken, Fitness places a huge part on your result although technical skills is a must....

Some of that stuff I have no clue how I got through it....

I loved it. the pedaling is just part of it i geuss, but it was cool.

i must say that i am pretty sore today, the hardtail worked me over, but still way too much fun. I think everyone had a good time out there, if they didnt then there is really something wrong.

all round good times and once again well done to the guys from Mankele. Superb event.

Thumbs%20UpFrikken coolest ride/race of the year. What makes it so awesome is that it's not just about balls & technical skill of DH or strength and fitness  of XC it's an all round combination of both (true MTB at it's best). Not only was it the funnest time you can have on knobblies, there was also a great vibe amoungst the riders, despite the weather and a few hangovers. We even got treated to some lekker local chicken braaied by the owner himself Uncle Greg. Will definately be back with all my peeps!

Big%20smileThanks to all the guys and gals who took on the avalanche, what an event. For a change Mark and I got the chance to take part aswell. What a flippen lekker ride, "If you snooze you looze" to all the the locals who were afraid of the rain. I must say we were lank intimidated on friday night when we saw all the big rigs pulling in. Home ground advantage aside, I managed to pull off a 9th place (YAY) & Mark 1st, so for you guys out there who think SUPER D. is just for downhillers - you are wrong. Come check it out next year, you won't be diappointed!

Later.