braamfontein spruit - bike hijackings

kamikaze

i just heard about 2 guys (friends of a friend) who were stripped of their bikes and belongings at gunpoint by 5 cowards on the spruit a few days ago.

my moer-meter is in the red because i ride there often (as in once a week at least)!

no one said it was safe to ride there but, there are certain areas that stand out that i personally do NOT feel safe riding along (which i avoid).

two come to mind:

1. rapists' corner - the section between william nichol drive, and the causeway at sandton field and study.

2. troll bridge - the wooded area between ballyclare drive bridge and the dirt-jump area.

these two areas have LOTS of mother******* skulking around and looking on with plotting eyes as one rides past.

i am trying to see if these hijackings and other similar events are isolated to certain areas along the route.

if you know of an incident which took place along the spruit, post the approximate location here.

lets see if there is a common trend so we can avoid those areas.

(and maybe we can gang up and go and "evict" them one night, armed with baseball bats and flame throwers.)

kamikaze2009-10-08 05:52:38

I don't think the Spruit-dwellers are the problem. They're just trying to get by. We've done a few Trials rides on the rocks there recently, and they either spectated or went away as we got closer.

I think there are more organised forces behind the hijackings.

i think most crime in this city is opportunity driven.

ie. every time a neighbour builds, we get a break-in a week later (3 times in a row now).

but lets not get side tracked. the cause is not the issue.

i am trying to see if the hijackings are indeed related (and hopefully limited) to these areas.kamikaze2009-10-08 06:00:07

Yeah I have to agree with Hog, I've found the dwellers to be more of a deterrent than anything and least likely to commit the crimes as they don't want any attention that'll end up with them being evicted.

Generally speaking.

Hope your mate's mates are ok?

It also does not matter if the dwellers just sit around , they shold also be removed !! When do you plan this flame thrower party ?

It also does not matter if the dwellers just sit around ' date=' they shold also be removed !! When do you plan this flame thrower party ?[/quote']

exactly!

the place is f***en filthy!

these vagrants live in their own sh!t - there's human feces and heaps of garbage everywhere they camp - the smell is nauseating.

Where did said incident happen' date=' I commute both directions 4 days a week, help a brother out?!?!?!?[/quote']

trying to find out as we speak - will post as soon as i know

It also does not matter if the dwellers just sit around ' date=' they shold also be removed !! When do you plan this flame thrower party ?[/quote']

exactly!

these vagrants live in their own sh!t - there's human feces and heaps of garbage everywhere they camp - the smell is nauseating.

Now there I have to agree. It's really disgusting doing Trials on the rocks and having to dodge the sh!tpiles everywhere. Also, broken glass, booze bottles, and just general garbage everywhere. It's sickening!

ok, this incident took place....wait for it....wait for it...

near the lion park!

that's right guys, the braamfontein spruit now runs past the lion park, or maybe there is a lion park on the braamfonteinspruit now.

1st it was on the spruit and two people were held up.

now it took place near the lion park and 6 bikes were stolen.

either way someone out there has his facts mixed up.

sorry for the hype.

i dont know how much of this story is fact and how much is fiction smiley5.gif

I think this is the incident you are speaking about (taken from the CycleLab newsletter sent out on Monday):

"LATEST WARNING - Sunday 4 October 2009
This morning at about 8h00 six of us where riding our mountain bikes past the lion cages at the Lion Park when we were held up at gun point by three well organized individuals. They stole bikes, cycling shoes, cell phones, money, camel packs etc. They throw three bikes over the fence into the Lion Park, removed everyone?s cycling shoes and made-off with the three most expensive bikes. Clearly they have done this before and are not concerned about the size of the group. Regards Rob Zuccollo

"

Mmnnn... If they know which bikes are the most expensive then they most likely know re-sale value (therefore also quite organized). Maybe we should try put out a stolen bike hot-list?

exactly!

Now there I have to agree. It's really disgusting doing Trials on the rocks and having to dodge the sh!tpiles everywhere. Also, broken glass, booze bottles, and just general garbage everywhere. It's sickening!

I told you  my side of the spruit is better Wink