Ok guys help me here...

IdeJongh

Went cycling on Saturday morning, started to drissle and I thought "A few drops never hurt anyone", but rather than embark on a "grinding paste" exibition that is mountain-biking-when-wet, I decided to stick to the road until it cleared up.

But alas, Burry Thunder (the god of mountain biking), was so upset that he threw a medium size tropical storm at me.  But us mounties are tough, so I just stuck at it and peddled home.

Upon arriving I realised that my back wheel aint turning to well...removed it from the frame and problem seems to be with the hub itself.

So what happend?  Freebody ceased?

Why did this happen?

a)  Rain water

b)  Burry was angry?

What can I do to prevent this in future?

Thanks folks! Smile

Are the hubs sealed?

XT hubs as bought, are they sealed, frick I dunno.

Kansas is there ever something like a cheap repair in cycling?

XT HUBS ARE NOT SEALED IF THAT IS THE 765 OR 775.. THEY DO REQUIRE SOME MAINTANANCE... BUT GENERALLY SUCH TUFF HUBS... YOU GONNA NEED 17 AND 15 CONE SPANNERS AND OFFCOURSE CASSETTE REMOVER TO GET TO THE BOLTS

one muddy ride should not cause that to happen. How old are the hubs? Maybe they were due for a service and it just happened to let you know on this ride.

You dont need cone spanners for the XT M775 wheels, Shimano has gotten clever (read copied campy) and you now use allen keys to open the hubs. 

OPEN IT ALL UP TAKE OUT THE BEARINGS AND CHECK THAT THE HUB SURFACE IS NOT DAMAGED WHERE THE BALL BEARINGS RUN ON... IF THAT IS NOT HURT THEN A SIMPLE REGREASE OF THE BEARINGS SHOULD SUFFICE OR YOU COULD REPLACE THE HUB AXLE WHICH WILL COME WITH NEW CONES AND BEARINGS ANYTHING FROM R199 - R269 PART NUMBER FOR THE 765 HUB REAR

Y3C198010

bertusvanzyl2009-10-12 02:23:20

YOU RIGHT ANYTHING OLDER THAN THE 775'S REQUIRE SPANNERS... THE 775 USE ALLEN KEYS BUT ALSO HAVE A CONE SPANNER ON THE NONE DRIVE SIDE

XT HUBS ARE NOT SEALED IF THAT IS THE 765 OR 775.. THEY DO REQUIRE SOME MAINTANANCE... BUT GENERALLY SUCH TUFF HUBS... YOU GONNA NEED 17 AND 15 CONE SPANNERS AND OFFCOURSE CASSETTE REMOVER TO GET TO THE BOLTS

Of course they are sealed. They have two seals per side, one labyrinth and one contact seal.  I suggest you read up on hub seals and cartridge bearing seals. Both have been extensively discussed on this forum.

PS - Good nettiquette requries that we don't write in capitals. It is considered shouting.

one muddy ride should not cause that to happen. How old are the hubs? Maybe they were due for a service and it just happened to let you know on this ride.

Hubs not that old, bike bought in April.