A few quick questions

Robert Lofthouse

So this time I decided to wait until I had a few weeks on the bike before announcing that I've ... well, gotten back on the bike. Now it's well and truly fact, I'm cycling again, and LOVING it (can't believe I've been slack for so long).

A few things though that I was hoping you helpful bunch would be able to shed some light on.

1) I've developed a little pain in front of my right knee cap. Now, if I remember correctly, this is most likely related to saddle height. What I can't remember is, is my saddle too low or too high.

2) I'm struggling a bit with some chaff on my lilly-white butt and in the groin area. The age of my kit doesn't help that much, but until I can get some new bibs, does anyone have any advise as to what to treat it with.

3) I'm experiencing some nasty ghost-shifting on both my bikes (road and MTB), and changing gears often requires an extra push on the shifter, ie, 2 clicks for one change, and then a click back because now the derailleur is between gears.

Now they have stood for quite some time, and my gut feel is that the cables have stretched as a result of the constant tension they've endured for that period of time. Can anyone confirm this, or should I be looking at rather ensuring the pivots and joints are correctly cleaned and lubed (or something similar).

That's it for now, chat later.

Cheers and Thanks in advance.

KC.

So this time I decided to wait until I had a few weeks on the bike before announcing that I've ... well' date=' gotten back on the bike. Now it's well and truly fact, I'm cycling again, and LOVING it (can't believe I've been slack for so long).
[/quote']

Ditto AngryAngry and also loving it againBig%20smile

3) I'm experiencing some nasty ghost-shifting on both my bikes (road and MTB)' date=' and changing gears often requires an extra push on the shifter, ie, 2 clicks for one change, and then a click back because now the derailleur is between gears.

Now they have stood for quite some time, and my gut feel is that the cables have stretched as a result of the constant tension they've endured for that period of time. Can anyone confirm this, or should I be looking at rather ensuring the pivots and joints are correctly cleaned and lubed (or something similar).

[/quote']

Ditto Cry and solved by lubing the pivots and relacing the cables.Clap

It seems as if they rusted inside the housings even though the bikes were inside, albeit for three years

1) I've developed a little pain in front of my right knee cap. Now' date=' if I remember correctly, this is most likely related to saddle height. What I can't remember is, is my saddle too low or too high.

[/quote']

This could be due to saddle height, but i also experience the same of i do not properly stretch before and after cycling.  Try stretching those muscle group and ligaments a bit.  It might just help.

Point 2 - buy a tub of milking cream from the vet - use it as a chamios cream when riding.

It's the same stuff as expensive labled chamios cream.

Generally the sore knee caps are a result of a saddle being too low, but also often results from poor stroke or worn pedals.  The former is due to abnormal stresses on your knees due to uneven stroke, the latter is similar effect due to too much play on the pedals.  The fact that your bike has been standing around for so long might mean the pedals need a good clean.  My suggestion try all three:

- focus on your stroke (maybe go to a few spinning classes in the gym to help with this)

- raise your saddle by a whisper, and make sure the tilt is straight

- give your pedals a good clean.