My new baby (still needs to lose some weight)

mtb_Josh

So I finally decided that I'm doing enough riding to buy a decent 2nd hand bike. Found quite a good deal and jumped on it. This is what I ended up with :20091023_095015_OrbeaSmall.JPG

Oh, and I made that stand myself smiley4.gif

Its still a little heavier than I think it should be - its at a little over 11kg at the moment. So a question for the weight weenies - what is so frikin heavy on this bike???

Here are the specs :

Orbea team frame

Rock Shox Reba team fork (no remote lockout)

american classic wheels

geax mezcal tyres (I know these are a little heavy)

avid juicy carbon brakes

sram x0 RD and grip shifters

sram x9 FD

sram PC1090 chain (hollow pins)

sram PG990 cassette

truvative stylo cranks (small blade removed)

guizzo carbon bar

ravx herculite stem (carbon wrap)

carbon seatpost (not sure what exactly)

velo pronto saddle

carbon bottle cages

I know the pedals are heavy - working on that

any ideas?

Ooh post of the day Tongue

Working on the fact that you don't exactly want to spend a massive amount.

> Change all your bolts to either aluminium or titanium.

> Swop your rotors out for some Aligator units.

> Sell your cockpit and buy a full KCNC one.

> Invest in some Eggbeater SLs, they can be upgraded, at a later stage with ti axles.

> Shwalbes Rocket Rons and Continentals Speedkings, (2.1) both weigh in the region of 400 grams each.

You can go on and on, but be warned it becomes addictve, as well as expensive. Soon you'll be after BTP carbon bolts and ceramic bearings in your pedals.

My honest advice, ride it till the bits fall off and then replace them with something lighter/ better.

BTW, sweet looking rig.

10 speed chain on a 9 speed cassette...

Never done that' date=' why did you do it?

How does it work?
[/quote']

Works perfectly, I run 10 Spd chains on my 9 spd drivetrain. The narrow chain makes no difference in terms of performance.

10 speed chain on a 9 speed cassette...

?

Never done that' date=' why did you do it?

How does it work?
[/quote']

I got the bike as it is. It works well at the moment, but I need to buy a new chain as this 1 is stretched and I dont want to mess up the cassette which is almost new. But I think I might just buy a normal 9 speed chain when I get a new one. No need to fork over so much cash for one like this.

Thanks Racer X. Got it for R9500. Only things that needed sorting out was an oval back rim (got that sorted) and the chain is a bit worn, otherwise its in great condition.

Thanks for the advice, I think for now its going to have to stay as it is, but as soon as I get paid for this month's coaching job I think I'm going to have to find some KCNC stuff and maybe some lighter tyres.

I actually weighed my el-cheapo pedals against a set of eggbeaters and the weight difference wasn't that huge...

From 11kg you are not going to find that magical heavy one thing to replace...

You will need to make small savings everywhere...

Start with stem, seatpost and those bars aren't heavy... Your fork could lose 200g if you go to a SID, then it's tires when they wear out.... and finally Crank could slim down too...

You need to decide where and how much you want to spend.

hmm... I think I'll stick with the reba for a while. So my list so far : stem, crank, tyres, seatpost. (and I think I have about 3kg of extra mud on it at the moment smiley36.gif) Now I just need someone to buy my bianchi frame so I can afford these things... smiley24.gif

will not do that especially on disc mounts

> Invest in some Eggbeater SLs' date=' they can be upgraded, at a later stage with ti axles.
Ti axle have a weight limit

> Shwalbes Rocket Rons and Continentals Speedkings, (2.1) both weigh in the region of 400 grams each.

?
Maybe the Conti SK Supersonic but not the Protection or UST. My Protection version is 530gr

[/quote']

will not do that especially on disc mounts

> Invest in some Eggbeater SLs' date=' they can be upgraded, at a later stage with ti axles.
Ti axle have a weight limit

?
Maybe the Conti SK Supersonic but not the Protection or UST. My Protection version is 530gr

[/quote']

What's wrong with titanium bolts? Wouldn't they be strong enough?

I weigh 69kg and I'm losing more with the amount of training I'm doing lately, so weight limits aren't a problem at the moment smiley17.gif