Destruction of Eden

Tieffels

After about 80% of Jonkershoek got destroyed in a fire, only Eden was left with plenty single track. Then the wind picked up tad bit over the weekend.. (not best quality pics, sorry)

At least I got my 1h/week hike-a-bike Epic training done.. 

Normally you are completely surrounded by trees here up to the treeline on the horizon. I'm guessing at least 100 trees got destroyed just in this area:

20091028_013220_IMAGE_146.jpg

All the brown spots are exposed roots

20091028_013033_IMAGE_140.jpg

The white bit in the background is a tree trunk split down the middle:

20091028_013530_IMAGE_142.jpg

These pics only cover the first 100m or so into Eden from the top contour road coming from STB but speaking to other MTBrs coming from the front the rest of Eden is also severely affected. Hopefully towards the old shooting range things are not as bad, will check it out later the week.

20091028_013747_IMAGE_140.jpg

wow thats not cool. our riding in the stellenbosch area is slowly decreasing. all that seems left now is coetzenburg which takes about 45min and you have done everything.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my friends are keen to take a couple of his staff and get stuck in with some chainsaws to open up the riding...does anyone know who to contact to find out if "they"(Safcol I guess?) are planning on cutting up the fallen trees and clearing the trails or if anyone will have issues if you get stuck into the job?

I would say contact Dirtopia or Amarider - Meurant Botha is the man. But I am not sure if they maintain the area??? Can anyone shed light on the subject?

Once my exams are done I will keen to help on one saturday to cut open some paths if we can get permission. To hire a chainsaw for a day isn't that expensive. If a couple guys on the hub is willing to help with a few bucks we can easily hire 2 chainsaws. with one full day with 2 chainsaws and a couple more hands you can get a lot done!!!