Need a bicycle carrier

I recently got some cash loose and need a bicycle carrier.  I drive a polo classic (the one with the boot, but don't have a towbar.  A towbar is very expensive, and I'm looking at these clip-on things...  I also drive long distances, so I'll need something that will be able to hold that.  Any ideas of what to buy? 

I recently got some cash loose and need a bicycle carrier.  I drive a polo classic (the one with the boot' date=' but don't have a towbar.  A towbar is very expensive, and I'm looking at these clip-on things...  I also drive long distances, so I'll need something that will be able to hold that.  Any ideas of what to buy? 

[/quote']

I also drive a Polo Classic (2005 model) and bought myself a Thule Freeway 968 3-Bike carrier. It works perfectly on the Polo and can be used on both a hatch back or a sedan (like your Polo Classic). It is extremely sturdy, especially for a clip-on!

I think I paid R1,350 for mine from Thule in Woodmead. I bought it in March this year.

Can seriously recommend it!

Doesn't it scratch the car?

The carrier has rubber-type footprints - two press on the rear of the

boot close to the rear window, and the other "rest" on top of the

bumper. You can place those non-slip material (the same type of ones

that you find in the trays in the Polo), and place it underneath each

rubber foot. That should protect the car even further if you want, but

they generally do not scratch the car.

Yes, they do scratch a bit. Simply live with it, or pack the bike inside your car.

I find their real hassle in restricting access to the boot. If you want something from the boot, everything must come down, and go back again.

Trust me, it happens.

I'm looking at the holdfast, just because it is almost half the price.  Just worried about how it would hurt the car.

I bought the Thule 9103 i think it is for R1800.... it works well. only problem is there is no locking feature. It does tend to scratch the bumper slightly, but some compound and those will come straight out.

There was a for sale last week for R800 ... search the forum.

Any clip-on solution will scratch your car, and any bike rack where your bike "hangs" off the back will over time compromise the frame (welding if aluminium, and the carbon, itself if you have a carbon bike). So if you have an inexpensive bike and a car that you don't mind getting scratched, use a bike rack where your bike "hangs" from the back.

If you have a bike and a car that you want to keep in working order for as long as possible, spend a bit of money and either get the thule pro-ride 591 that mounts on top of your car on roof racks, or get a tow bar and buy the euro classic 908 or similar.

Any clip-on solution will scratch your car, and any bike rack where your bike "hangs" off the back will over time compromise the frame (welding if aluminium, and the carbon, itself if you have a carbon bike). So if you have an inexpensive bike and a car that you don't mind getting scratched, use a bike rack where your bike "hangs" from the back.

If you have a bike and a car that you want to keep in working order for as long as possible, spend a bit of money and either get the thule pro-ride 591 that mounts on top of your car on roof racks, or get a tow bar and buy the euro classic 908 or similar.

I'm looking at the holdfast' date=' just because it is almost half the price.? Just worried about how it would hurt the car.

[/quote']

Spend the bucks and get a Thule, they're way better ITO fit and quality. But the best is still a towbar and a Thule Ride-on or Euro. They are pricey though.

My R0.02.