Diet, endurance and weight loss

skipperw

Ok, so the conundrum is I'm considerably overweight and training hard for Comrades.

Obviously additional weight makes it difficult to run 89km, but there is also necessary recovery nutrition required to keep the muscles and body going on the next training run/cycle.

So who knows of a reputable website where I can access a diet plan or alternatively a decent Joburg based dietitian that won't brake the bank.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok' date=' so the conundrum is I'm considerably overweight and training hard for Comrades.
Obviously additional weight makes it difficult to run 89km, but there is also necessary recovery nutrition required to keep the muscles and body going on the next training run/cycle.

So who knows of a reputable website where I can access a diet plan or alternatively a decent Joburg based dietitian that won't brake the bank.
[/quote']

with you there..just did a physical I am overweight, low blood pressure, cholestrol too high, blood sugar too high and comrades and other races looming..DeadDead

no dietitian needed. just eat less and eat more often- drink lots of water 2-3L a day and do morning runs before breakfast (empty stomach) - +-5km just to burn fat.

Eat oats for breakfast and for lunch try and eat white meat and veggies. For supper - nothing much eat before 8pm

maby you could only drink a protein shake and eat a small meal something easy

good luck

ASTANA2009-11-03 08:19:25

Guest colonel
no dietitian needed. just eat less and eat more often- drink lots of water 2-3L a day and do morning runs before breakfast (empty stomach) - +-5km just to burn fat.

Eat oats for breakfast and for lunch try and eat white meat and veggies. For supper - nothing much eat before 8pm

good luck

On that he will need more than luck and thank god you not my dietician.

yeah...figured on Comrades training one needs a serious amount of nutrients. but finding the balance...

All Bran in the morning, then fruit at around 10:30 for a snack (something like an apple or banana) then salad or tuna with por-vita for lunch. Tuna must  be in water and not in oil and no marg or butter on the pro-vita. Another fruit should you feel like it around 15:30 and then dinner should be fish or skin less chicken or lean meat with veg. Cut out as many carbs as possible.

Mens Health website, works for me!

Good luck!

good luck

On that he will need more than luck and thank god you not my dietician.

Big%20smile

I'm having success with Weigh Less - seems balanced enough!!  Not too expensive either and a weekly weigh-in keeps you motivated Embarrassed

Michelle

no dietitian needed [agreed];

- just eat less [cut out all junk food' date= sweet stuff, fizzy drinks, coffee, etc.];

- eat more often [include fruit, veggies, steamed food, more raw than cooked];

- drink 2-3L of water a day [not too much otherwise you'll flush out some of the good stuff

If you are on Medical Aid I can recommend a dietician for you, PM and I'll give you the number. You can claim back. going to see someone is the BEST move you can make. (apart from exercise). I can speak from experience. Thumbs%20Up 

Want to loose weight really quickly? Exercise in the mornings before eating anything, about 60 minutes worth. only drink an energy drink during the workout and then eat in moderation during the day only when you feel hungry. Also eat slowly, try eating only healthy stuff, mostly fruit and veges to start with. I'm doing this and after many many years of being overweight and diets ect the weight is dropping off me so quickly.

I honestly don't believe you need a dietician, just use common sense and move your arse a lot more!

Smile

Are you getting a good balance of strength and cardio training?

Strength (weight bearing) will help build / tone muscle which helps to burn bodyfat. Our muscles are our engines and need to be fueled. Make sure you are getting enough protein to protect the muscle but to force the body to access bodyfat for energy. A good comination of carbs and healthy fats is also important and should be obtained from your fruits and veg. 5 - 6 small meals a day and the 1st after exercise if possible. Breakfast is a must as it starts the engine (metabolism) for the day. Eating after 8 and not eating carbs at night is a myth. Regular small well balanced meals or protein shakes as snacks or a meal replacement are also good if you don't have the time to pack a couple of small meals for work. Hope it helps.

Dieticians cost a bit for a reason. They know what they are doing and will give you a good individualised plan. Don't follow a generic outline that many websites and magazines will line-out. Weight that is lost quickly is never ideal either. Do it the proper way. And in all honesty, just run as this will help the body with adaptation to the stress of the exercise

boeing2009-11-03 12:25:01

I remember reading on here a long time back about Long Slow Distance base training. Someone was asking what to eat on those rides and someone else pointed out that if you want to lose weight you should eat nothing on the ride. I tried it and it works. You drop weight really easily.

It might be too late to do this for Comrades, but maybe try and fit one LSD per week for weight loss. IMO even losing 5kgs is a great benefit to endurance so it might be worth a try.

i am also doing comrades, also carrying too much, 90kg.

constant weight battle, but it is very easy all thats required is self control and a dietician cant give you that.

low fat, few dops, smaller portions, top up with fruit and salad,water.

low gi starches.

good luck