ER24 - SweatSAFE

Revolution

I'm waiting for a consultant from sweatsafe to get back to me on the diving question. Will post his answer as soon as I receive the feedback.

Just make sure she's on her back and you wont get hurt Wink

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, Sweatsafe got back to me on diving related accidents and this is what they had to say - they'd cover the emergency evacuation and any hospital related costs as a result of the accident but would not cover the cost of the hyperbaric chamber itself which is fair enough.

vanmartin2007-05-23 08:58:55

OK, I've done it!  Signed up for the Sweatsafe 50 option so the mrs Willehond can have peace of mind.  I crashed twice in the last month and luckily escaped with only bruises and cuts, but it has been a wake up call.  She insisted I get itOuch

Hopefully I never get to use it, but you never know!  Great to see positive feedback from ChrisH and co.

Looks like the sensible and credible option.

Ok, this was quite an amusing thread to read....we have "Revolution" joining the hub on May 19,  first post innocently enquiring about "sweatsafe" bands....then as the posts go on said newby hubber goes from the enquiring to the salesman mode....(refer to the replies to Slowpoke's posts)...from this I can only conclude that he/she is a rep for SafeMed or whoever....brilliant piece of selling.

well spotted homer - that's why i made it categorically clear that if you already have 100% coverage (at private hospitals and medivac by netcare 911 etc etc) you don't HAVE to be coerced into this. just go have fun by doing an orienteering event or AR sprint, then cut a strip off your map once you've recovered (in the event of the AR option) and use a ballpoint pen to write your details - 3-4 years old and it's still going strong and is 100% legible.

alternately you could also join Think Bike (they have already branded their caravan and the one side has a biker and the other side a cyclist) - your R300 annual membership includes dog tags and laminated membership card - ER24 and Netcare automatically look for those if there is any TB gear or sticker on the person/bike/car involved in an accident. then you also get discounts at certain shops (ok, only biking stuff at the mo).

In some cases, it is better not to over-insure as this results in arguments between the emergency personnel doing the evac (which you really don't want as it could kill you) and secondly, arguments when you are trying to get your claims settled which you also don't want, although being broke is better than being dead.

Either carry ID and medical aid details in armband, back pocket, saddlebag, hydration pack etc and rely on your medical aid.  Or if you know your medical aid is crap, then have a look at these alternative options.

linnega, that was the whole point i was making. my current buddy band with details in it has worked 100% in swaziland (2004 - swazi extreme), jo'burg (interclubs july 2005) and durban (amashova october 2006). my medical aid has paid all expenses except the R1000 that the anaesthetist charged ABOVE private rates (bladdy shark - insisted on a different anaesthetist when removing the plate). those costs have included MRI, operations, splints, neck collars, slings and physiotherapy. no need for sweat safe.

Revolution is sersiously dodgy I agree!  Must be a rep or insurance salesman.

I joined Sweatsafe because my medical aid cover is only a hospital plan and if I end up in outpatients with a broken arm etc. I will have to cough up.  As I have been eating dirt recently I think it is only a matter of time...

In the mean time the Sweatsafe option gives me double insurance (yea, not ideal), but getting treatment and admission immediately is worth the fifty bucks to me.  Thought about it long and hard.

willehond, you are an example of who sweatsafe is aimed at. that is my point. it is not aimed at me or peeps like me who have the 100%guaranteed up-front cover. if any admission is involved at a hospital for me or people on med aids like mine, it gets done behind the scenes. the first and only thing i signed at St Augustines in durbs (ie a TOP private hospital) was my discharge stuff. if my med aid changes then i'll look at everything again. in the meantime my focus is on ensuring that the medics can find my details which experience (painfull if conscious, not too bad when unconscious and pumped full of morphine) has shown to be the case with the way i do things.

Interesting to read the views of people who share the same dangers on the road as all of those involved in the sport of cycling... my concern is to find the best recognised form of identification... for those who question my point view, well you are most welcome to. this is a forum where you are entitled to express "your" point/points of views. It is exactly what I am doing and have done, it is "your" choice whether or not you subscribe to "my" point/points of view. My choice is Sweatsafe, you are more than welcome to chose something else...

this is sounding like a bad infomercial. good product,dodgy tv guy with too much haigel and blond lady going "amazing, I can't believe this"

you should be riding more and watching less TV...oh when you are on the road - dont forget Sweatsafe!