New into road cycling

Hitman Victor

Hi I am wanting to get into road cycling as I have been riding a mtb for a long time and want to change it up a bit and also improve my training.  I will be riding about 2-3 days a week with varying mileage.

What bikes would I be looking at (wanting to spend in the region of about R8000-R9000) willing to buy second hand.  I need to go get my sizing checked out (I am 1.9m tall) to get an accurate sizing

What components would i be looking at as well (and differences between say shimano and s-ram?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi I am wanting to get into road cycling as I have been riding a mtb for a long time and want to change it up a bit and also improve my training.? I will be riding about 2-3 days a week with varying mileage.

?

What bikes would I be looking at (wanting to spend in the region of about R8000-R9000) willing to buy second hand.? I need to go get my sizing checked out (I am 1.9m tall) to get an accurate sizing

?

What components would i be looking at as well (and differences between say shimano and s-ram?)

?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Im in the same boat as you! Feedback please

For 8-9k go second hand. You could even be lucky to find a carbon frame with Tiagra or 105 at that price. Go for the best frame you can get and upgrade later on if you like it ... believe me you will!!

I am also mtb vet sorting out a road bike now, mainly for the Argus (10th coming up)  94.7 who knows I might even get into it more, but it certainly is different scene with roadies as you can gather from here.

I started off with a Cannondale frame sourced here, then after some pondering went for a new SRAM Force groupset and other nice bits & pieces from CRC,  second hand Shimano wheels sourced here, currently the bike has cost me about R10k: but its just what I want right now.  I was happy to go with that used frame being a Cannondale brand loyalist, for starters one doesnt have to feel so precious about it if its already do a few marks. Also have enjoyed finding all the bits and piecing it together.

I am sure you can get a good 2nd bike for your budget, there was another Cannondale road bike offered here but might be a bit small. You can upgrade groupsets, wheels etc later. Carbon frame, well if you must but here is going to be a premium to pay for that.  You can settle for a few carbon bits for the bling: cranks, saddle post, bar end plugs :)

Good luck!

kosmonooit2009-11-05 08:17:41