Rear derailleurs

Mbot

Why is it better to have a carbon rear derailleur than a metal one? Wont the carbon break more easily?

better?

most probably just to make it lighter and for bling.

and no, carbon don't break that easy(from normal usage)

Nice to have and waight, do not by only to think it will make you a better cyclist. I saw riders with sora 8 speed riding the sh!t out of riders riding Dura ace 10 speed.

Your assumption is wrong. It is not better. Just lighter.

I saw a cracked jockey cage in a carbon SRAM just last week. A metal one would have just bent. The owner would have bent it back.

better is relative, like beauty. I reckon most take better to mean lighter + working. It's all subjective anyway.

Personally, I dont like the fact that carbon fibre products tend to shatter/crack without bending. Granted, it's take a lot more to crack them than to bend the comparable metal item on a breaking strength to weight ratio comparison. No one said its carbon its indestructable.

I'm with Johan, that's why I didn't go for the xtr shadow because in theory you can bend back the derailler if it gets mangled on the trail.

Dunno with a carbon one...