Tuning gears - barrel adjuster

RodTi

Hello All,

For reasons involving a "seized" seatpost, and it's subsequent release - I needed to disconnet my front-mech, and remove my rear-mech completely...

Putting them back on tonight - which will be a first, as I've usually left all of this kind of thing to the LBS...

Was fortunate to sit-in on a JB workshop quickie on tuning gears etc - and think I've got the basics to be able to do it... But for one question...

At that workshop, I had an XT rear mech, and at home, applying what I had seen, I made use of the barrel adjuster to fine-tune the shifting...

Had a look at the XTR rear-mech that I've got on my bike now - and unless I'm missing something - there doesn't appear to be a barrel adjuster?

Why not - and what do I do instead of what I used to do/would've done on the XT?

If anyone can point me to a similar topic on the Hub - fanks! Not really sure what keywords I should be searching for....

Big%20smile

In order to save 1.78 grams, XTR jockeys don't have barrel adjusters. This makes it a bit awkward to tune but as Droo says, they're on the shifters and do the same job.

One day when you have time you can thread the hole in your XTR jockey and install a barrel adjuster. Best upgrade XTR can get.

Thanks people...

Got the front mech sorted easily enough...

Rear mech - I'll be fiddling a bit more tonight...

It's a rapid-rise, so having to do things a bit back-to-front...

Having problems keeping the chain running in the smallest gear at the back - it wants to jump up to 2nd smallest - so need to do some fine-tuning at the adjusters at the shifters! Stern%20Smile

Thanks people...

It's a rapid-rise' date=' so having to do things a bit back-to-front...

Having problems keeping the chain running in the smallest gear at the back - it wants to jump up to 2nd smallest - so need to do some fine-tuning at the adjusters at the shifters! Stern%20Smile

[/quote']

Try turining the H llimit screw out a tad. If it shifts fine in all the other gears but that one doesn't want to stay in, the screw is preventing the jockey to go there. To confirm that it is NOT the case, pull a bit on an exposed bit of the cable somewhere. If the jockey goes there with the extra bit of cable tension, then it is the cable that's preventing it from shifting there.

Thanks people...

It's a rapid-rise' date=' so having to do things a bit back-to-front...

[/quote']

Try turining the H llimit screw out a tad. If it shifts fine in all the other gears but that one doesn't want to stay in, the screw is preventing the jockey to go there. To confirm that it is NOT the case, pull a bit on an exposed bit of the cable somewhere. If the jockey goes there with the extra bit of cable tension, then it is the cable that's preventing it from shifting there.

Thanks JB - will give it a try this evening!