Thule Roofrack on Bakkie?

Squier

Is there anyone on the hub that has fitted Thule ProRide Roofracks to their bakkie's bins?

I want to fit the roofracks on the bin so that I can still use the whole bin when going away for a weekend and fit the bikes above the bin.

I know I can just get the towbar carriers but I want to do it this way... just coz I want to! smiley4.gif

Has anyone done this? Can it work? How does it work? and how much should I expect to pay?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=66648&KW=bakkie

I was looking for the same kind of setup.

See my post.

Went to Front Runner today. They are going to see if they can design a type of load bar/roofrack that can fir on my Hilux, over the tonneau cover. Also had a chat with Mark of Striders. He makes racks for trailers and might be able to help.

I've seen a couple of Thule racks at races fitted on bakkies... But never looked how they were fixed etc etc etc.... Till I bought a bakkie now.

Cool! Yes this is what I'm looking at.

I would just like to take the front wheel off, and fit it to a fork holder that one attache to the roof racks.

Question, how stable is it? How did you fix the rails footing to the bakkie? Bolts?

Which type of rails did you buy from Thule?

My only problem i, that I have a tonneau cover... Dont want to make any holes through the cover... So it needs to fit over or round it.

What type of Bakkie do you have? I made myself a very nice rack that fits on the tonneau cover of my Colt, even takes the tandem. Very cheap and easy to fit/remove. Also very stable....Frenchy2009-11-11 06:37:52

That is exactly what I want! Looks awesome, doesn't it!

The roofrack going across the bin; is that also Thule components that you buy with the bike rack or is that something that you have custom made?

What type of Bakkie do you have? I made myself a very nice rack that fits on the tonneau cover of my Colt' date=' even takes the tandem. Very cheap and easy to fit/remove. Also very stable....[/quote']

I have a Toyota Hilux Double cab....

What type of Bakkie do you have? I made myself a very nice rack that fits on the tonneau cover of my Colt' date=' even takes the tandem. Very cheap and easy to fit/remove. Also very stable....[/quote']

I have a Toyota Hilux Double cab....

Could be done...if interested I will take some pics and e-mail them to you.

See my post.

Went to Front Runner today. They are going to see if they can design a type of load bar/roofrack that can fir on my Hilux' date=' over the tonneau cover. Also had a chat with Mark of Striders. He makes racks for trailers and might be able to help.

I've seen a couple of Thule racks at races fitted on bakkies... But never looked how they were fixed etc etc etc.... Till I bought a bakkie now.

[/quote']

I have mounted my Thule Prorides onto a Frontrunner WindCheetah roof rack. I used the Thule bolts which I had to cut narrower to fit into the slots in the roof rack cross members. Works very well.

Could be done...if interested I will take some pics and e-mail them to you.

Please send the pics to me as well. PM sent.

Thanks,Squier2009-11-11 07:00:32

How? and what? and how?

Pics perhaps?

?

See my post.

?

Went to Front Runner today. They are going to see if they can design a type of load bar/roofrack that can fir on my Hilux' date=' over the tonneau cover. Also had a chat with Mark of Striders. He makes racks for trailers and might be able to help.

?

?

?
[/quote']I have mounted my Thule Prorides onto a Frontrunner WindCheetah roof rack. I used the Thule bolts which I had to cut narrower to fit into the slots in the roof rack cross members. Works very well.

Did you have to drill into the body?