Thule Roofrack on Bakkie?

Squier

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=66648&KW=bakkie

I was looking for the same kind of setup.

See my post.

Went to Front Runner today. They are going to see if they can design a type of load bar/roofrack that can fir on my Hilux' date=' over the tonneau cover. Also had a chat with Mark of Striders. He makes racks for trailers and might be able to help.

I've seen a couple of Thule racks at races fitted on bakkies... But never looked how they were fixed etc etc etc.... Till I bought a bakkie now.

[/quote']I have mounted my Thule Prorides onto a Frontrunner WindCheetah roof rack. I used the Thule bolts which I had to cut narrower to fit into the slots in the roof rack cross members. Works very well.

Did you have to drill into the body?

No, this is a full roofrack that mounts onto my roof sills. I merely meant that if you were at Frontrunner and they were going to make up something for you, you can install Prorides onto tgheir tracks.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20091111_074103_DSC00011.JPG

one really nice thing with this is that its totally removable and lockable .

its all from thule cost me about R6500.00 about 3 years ago. the guys at thule woodmead help me with the set up. but you need the armabillo for the rack bracket to bolt on to the back of the bakkie.

Come on guys... I need to get everything sorted before the December holiday's .... Otherwise my bike  needs to stay at home....

I spoke to the guys at Loading zone in cape town.

I have a Smart Cover on, which is basically a solid fiberglass cover with gas lifts.

http://www.smartcover.co.za/home.htm

My options were that they can pop rivet some rain gutter sections on and then I can use the racks with feet that fit on cars with rain gutters.

Or they have some aluminium rails that they have made up for the roofs of Jeep wranglers. I'm going this route as I can use the racks that I have at the moment, the type with feet that go on cars with built in rails.

Conrad, just to make sure about your setup, the armadillo was bought seperately and then the Thule guys helped you fit the bike racks at about 6500k?  Dit they have to drill holes in the armadillo? or dit the guys fitting the armadillo do the drilling?

Hey Scuzzy

yip the armadillo was bought seperately with the car. the thule guys gave me advise on which components to buy  and assembled the unit for me. (the rack adapters are for the land rover discovery 3) and i drilled the holes on the armibillo.

the trick is not to drill through the shutter channel . when the armibillo is installed there is usually at flat section of alu that is perfect to mount the rack to. only thing is i'm sure that armidillo would not be too happy about this and that all garentees would fall away. to keep the unit water tight i applied silicone to the bottom of the adapter before tighting the bolts.

the whole process took about 1 hour.

the thule guys did offer to do it free of charge but i wanted to get my hands dirty. they where on call if anything went wrong.

and yip the price for the rack,adapters and bike racks was round 6500.

are you keen to do this to your bukkie?

Ok, great, thanks for the info.  I am considering it yes, but flip, it is a expensive exercise, cause I still need to fit the armadillo as wel, and with the bike racks it can cost me close to 12k, which might be a bit expensive for a nifty pratical way to cater for all the cycling and traveling needs.  I might just come up with my own idea, will see, for starters I just need to get the Armadillo first and take it from there.

But it is still a very, very good idea. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a toyota hilux with a soft cover , i used the thule extension bar with 2 fork holders on it placed at the back of the loadbed. filled the bakkie with luggage , put the fron wheels in the loadbox and covered with the tarp extending the cable to keep tarp in place but leaving the fork holders exposed. put th bikes in facing rearwards and then bungi the rear wheels down.

cost less than R2000 for th extension bar.

I have subsequently sold the bakkie and have the extension bar for sale search on this site

Topic: Thule extension bike bar for bakkies

The rack costed me R700 (Including galvanizing the bars and brackets)

Including straps, brackets bolts .

Excluding all my labour.... Which comes for free....

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm looking to get something similar to this set up done...

Has any one done it or have any suggestions?

post-6252-0-94645800-1458495122_thumb.png

post-6252-0-42999000-1458495271_thumb.png

post-6252-0-47513400-1458495260_thumb.png

Edited by StevieL

I'm looking to get something similar to this set up done...

Has any one done it or have any suggestions?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-03-20 at 7.29.57 PM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-03-20 at 7.29.23 PM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-03-20 at 7.29.41 PM.png

I only have the normal Thuli roof racks on my bakkie's roof.. pity I didn't notice this before I had it fitted. .cause erm reaching to the top of the bakkie roof is a bit challenging for me.. hubby has no issues. .but my short ass has to focus to get especially the mtb on.

• 11 months later...

Hey Scuzzy

yip the armadillo was bought seperately with the car. the thule guys gave me advise on which components to buy  and assembled the unit for me. (the rack adapters are for the land rover discovery 3) and i drilled the holes on the armibillo.

the trick is not to drill through the shutter channel . when the armibillo is installed there is usually at flat section of alu that is perfect to mount the rack to. only thing is i'm sure that armidillo would not be too happy about this and that all garentees would fall away. to keep the unit water tight i applied silicone to the bottom of the adapter before tighting the bolts.

the whole process took about 1 hour.

the thule guys did offer to do it free of charge but i wanted to get my hands dirty. they where on call if anything went wrong.

and yip the price for the rack,adapters and bike racks was round 6500.

are you keen to do this to your bukkie?

Is your Armadillo the automated one?  I am trying to see how the Thule racks fit to the automated Armadillo. I know they fit to the Secure Lid which is the manual version but for R1500 i might as well go for the automated Armadillo.

Would appreciate the help.

I got myself a Thule VeloCompact 3 for my Ranger because I was too impatient to have this done, and all I can say is that I regret it big time. I transport my bike on my car 3 to 4 days of the week, so my Thule stays on the towbar most of the time, and that makes a Ranger very long and cumbersome to park! On top of that I tend to go offroad quite a bit, and with the rack on it makes your departure angle worse than a hurse!

This is by far the best way to go on a bakkie - especially if you are the type that want to fit it, and leave it on most of the time. 

Edited by Grease_Monkey